Highlighted
Visitor

Institiution serch issues

Can the search function for institutions be improved.  Currently you can't bring up all the variations of an institution at once.  If if cant can the entry of institutions be tightened up so that there is only one option for each institiution

For instance my institution The University of Western Australia is entered as

The University of Western Australia

University of Western Australia

University of Western Australia(UWA)

University of Western Australia, UWA

UWA

While you can pick up the middle three using the wild card on the you don't pick up either the first or last.  Also the search using just the only picks up the last.  Surley it should search for the words you entered anywhere in the institution name.  For instance if I type in Western Australia I should be able to see any institiution with this in the name

Alasdair

Visitor

Re: Institiution serch issues

I agree. The whole issue becomes worse with Institutions with non-Latin characters. I work in Korea, which has recently changed its "romanization" (how to write Korean words in Latin characters).

The transition process is not over yet. So currently, my university is written as "Chonbuk National University" (you could also write it Chon-buk or Chon Buk or even Chon Book), but actually the new romanization is "Jeonbuk" (spoken like John book). Imagine the numerous combinations possible, also when leaving the "National" out.

Another problem are non-English universities. Sometimes their name is translated, sometimes partially translated, sometimes not translated at all. I did my doctorate at the (German name!): Friedrich-Alexander Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg, which is translated to
-Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen-Nürnberg,
-Friedrich-Alexander Universität Erlangen-Nuremberg, or
-Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen-Nuremberg.

Also the Umlaut (ä/ö/ü) can be
- ä/ö/ü (correct)
- ae/oe/ue (not 100% correct, but accepted in German)
- a/o/u (incorrect, but used as standard by ISI/WOS)

Furthermore, the name is quite long, so parts are abbreviated, e.g.
- Uni Erlangen
- University Erlangen /Erlangen University
- FAU Erlangen(-Nürnberg/Nuremberg)

If I would permutate all possibilities, it would take me certainly 10 screen pages.

In my opinion, these problems with the name are part of the reason, why English speaking universities are alledgedly better in Science than others.
Contributor

Re: Institiution search issues

And it's not just a multiple language problem.

I know that my scientists are going to name their institution 5 different ways:

NOAA / NESDIS / STAR

NOAA/NESDIS/STAR

NESDIS/STAR

Center for Satellite Applications and Research

etc.

Search doesn't return results for really similar institution names, and perhaps it should. ????

Thomson Reuters

Re: Institiution search issues

Hello,

My apologies for the delay in responding to this post. The system currently supports right-truncation, and the wildcard characters of asterisk (*) and question mark (?).  We are investigating ways to allow for phrase searching. We understand the need for a way to search institution name variants and are looking to enhance ResearcherID to allow for this.

Thank you for your interest in ResearcherID.

Regards,

Patricia Siemion

Product Management Associate

Thomson Reuters