Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Contributor

ResearcherID Badge seems to require Java Runtime

From the answers I've received from Thomson Reuters tech support so far, it appears that the ResearcherID badge will not render for browser users who do not have particular settings enabled for their browsers. These settings have to do with enabling Java. And I by Java, I mean JAVA, not javascript.

This is very peculiar, and makes no sense to me. The badge itself is created by a snippet of javascript, and would not seem to have any reason to depend on or require Java.

I can't use the ResearcherID badge on my organization's web pages if I can't rely upon it rendering consistently for most users with typical browser configurations. Java is common for technology workers, but not so common for those who are not. It is just not practical for me to have to advise site users to install the Java Runtime Environment in order to be able to see what looks to them like a small image with a link and rollover text. In fact, that is just nuts.

Can someone tell me why this is so? Is there a good reason for ResearcherID NOT to have this requirement? Does anyone else have any experience with this problem?

Contributor

Re: ResearcherID Badge seems to require Java Runtime

And now, suddenly, the badge is rendering again, with or without the JRE. For both IE & Firefox. ?????

Please submit a technical support request for these questions and concerns using the link provided below. 

http://science.thomsonreuters.com/support/

Contributor

For the time being this seems to be resolved. No need for a support ticket. Thanks.

I still don't understand why the badge disappeared, or why it came back, but it seems to be working fine now. ?????

The components which generate the badge are fetched from a web server which is different from that of the web page onto which the badge has been placed (your webpage).

There may have been a temporary issue with internet connectivity at that time, specifically between the location of your PC/workstation and the server hosting the badge components, so that your page would still have loaded but not the badge.

Dante Burford
Customer Technical Support Executive
Healthcare & Science
Thomson Reuters
science.thomsonreuters.com/support/

New User

[ Edited ]

Java is an Object Oriented Programming (OOP) language created by James Gosling of Sun Microsystems. The main difference is that Java can stand on its own while JavaScript must be placed inside an HTML document to function. Java is a much larger and more complicated language that creates "standalone" applications. A Java "applet" (so-called because it is a little application) is a fully contained program. JavaScript is text-based. You write it to an HTML document and it is run through a browser.

Highlighted
Contributor

Uh, I know what Java is, that wasn't the question. The question was, why did my badges, which had stopped rendering consistently, start to render properly again when I turned on my local JRE. Since the badges look to be JavaScript mashlets, which as far as I can tell don't require any Java to run on my local PC.