New User

Need for keyword editing tool!

I REALLY REALLY need a keyword editing tool within Reference Manager. My old DOS-program Papyrus had an elegant tool where you could delete, merge or otherwise edit your keywords with immediate effect for all your references. This is totally lacking in Reference Manager, you can't do anything within the Terms Manager, and it drives me crazy. Any suggestions?

Dag Vongraven

Norwegian Polar Institute

Norway

Re: Need for keyword editing tool!

Hello Dag,

The Term manager is used to perform theses changes.  If you are using Refernece Manager 11, or a network version of Reference Manager 9/10 you need to open the database in Read-Write Exclusive mode before you can edit the terms:

1. Close Reference Manager if it is running and make a backup copy of your database
  2. Open the database in Reference Manager in Read-Write Exclusive mode.  If the database is already open you will need to close it.  Then go to "File > Open Database" in the bottom of the Open window set the "Access Rights" to "Read-Write Exclusive" and then select your database to open.
  3. Go to "Tools > Term Manager > Active"

At this point you can use the Global Edit command to change keywords in both the list and the database.  Purge will delete the term for the list and from every reference in the database.  Neither of these can be "undone" which is why you want to have a backup copy before you being editing the terms. 

Peter Travis

Thomson Reuters
Tel +1 800 336 4474
http://www.researchsoft.com
http://scientific.thomson.com

Better Decisions Faster
Thomson Reuters and its product names and acronyms used herein are trademarks, service marks, and registered trademarks used under license.
Highlighted
New User

Re: Need for keyword editing tool!

Thanks a million! It works, and I feel a bit stupid for having used this software for a long time without discovering this.

Dag Vongraven