_K
Visitor

Re: Discontinuing reference manager?

Yes, I agree with S completely. The "take it to the web" solution has security, application feature, and technical questions. Some of our clients don't find that acceptable, because that is not how they work. We have not found any web product that is satisfactory in all the above categories. My company (and I myself) prefer a networked software application in the manner that RefMan works. 

I can't think of any new features for RM that I would call 'urgent,' but fixing some long-term bugs and making the app a bit more friendly/stable with Office 10 would be fabulous ...at a minimum.   Specific fix requests available upon request.  PLEASE note though that the years have degraded my faith in the suggestions email box at the RM web site.  I wonder, does anyone submits to that with hope? Sometimes we have gotten a fix to import filter, but I think that's the limit.

Feeling more hopeful just having this dialog,

Librarian _K

_K
LibrarianK
see Kafka
New User

I have a copy of endnote 6 but still come back to using Refman because it is better to use. One can customise the views how one reads abstracts etc not the straight jacket view that endnote and other programs' have. Why cant you customise the views in Endnote? If you added just some of the wiz-bangs of endnote to Refman we would better off! Some one out there needs to combine the best of endnote, Refman, readcube, pdf expert, Iannotate rather than excelling at just one aspect. Any one interested?
New User

Hello! I am having issues with my RefMan 12.0.0 on my Windows 7 platform. Everything was fine until I upgraded.  Please advise on whether 12.0.3 would fix the bugs or if there is known issues.  Or, more specifically - since it sounds like RefMan might be discontinued - is it time to switch over to EndNotes?

Thanks

Kat

_K
Visitor

Kat, for any or all reasons I recommend trying 12.03 before actively considering a switch.  We had troubles with 12.00 on Win XP that were solved by 12.02 or .03--I forget.    We are currently running 12.03 on Win 7 sp1 and I am not aware of any issues.  Of course environment or system configuration may render my experience useless to you.

-luck

_K

_K
LibrarianK
see Kafka
Enthusiast

[ Edited ]

Mathilda,

There are one very useful and unique characteristics in Ref manager DESKTOP.

One is the multi user concurrent editing of the local database shared in a hard drive (it is quite different to concurrent access to cloud databases shared with a group) At present no other software do that. Only Reference manager has the capability to allow concurrent editing (not the same reference, but in the same BD for different team members).

Other is the possibility to configure ID as AuthorYear... all the other software has only the automatic numering ID, but identify ID references with authorYear is fundemantal for me and my team. I dont know if EndNote has this capability

And Last, We have aa lot of own format styles .os . Is easy to import them inEnd note? (as easy than importing BDs or formated documents)

the advanced search, duplicate search and copy field between references is more flexible and accurate than other software that i have compared (End-Note Web, zotero, Mendeley, RefWorks)

15 years ago I suffer the nightmare of migration from endNote to ref Manager (a decade before, REf Manager was the Best in class ans star for Thompson... Now is End-Note).It sounds great that End-Note can import not only databases (is the easier part), but also formated or cited documments.

The last point is is Reference Manager clients, can access to End-note desktop license paying similar fee as an Upgrade (not the full price for "New" customers).

Juan Marin
Professor- Departamento de Organización de Empresas-Universidad Politécnica de Valencia- Spain
New User

We are 2015 now...

The latest version of Reference Manager is v12.0.3 and was released in 2010

The latest version of Endnote is X7 and was release a few months back in 2014

It would help if TR communicates more open about their plans.. 

User

I'm a research consultant to several colleges.  In the past, I've used Reference Manager and been fairly happy with it. However, when it came time to upgrade a year ago, I discovered that RM was not being kept current.  I eventually decided that Thomson Reuters was discontinuing RM, and so I converted to EndNote.

Now, I'm being asked by a new college for a recommendation with regard to reference management software.  I've been disapointed by inadequacies in EndNote that were handled rather well by Reference Manager.  Thomson Reuters has been surprisingly obtuse about the whole issue of Reference Manager's future.  And, they appear to be unresponsive to user requests and recommendations.  This is TERRIBLE behavior for a company that offers a line of software to the education and technical community!

Care to guess what my recommendation will be concerning any of the Thomson Reuters products?

Chuck Henderson

Chuck H.
User

Chuck,

I have been using Reference Manager for over 22 years.  We need a networked environment in the department I work for, and after nosing around on the Endnote forum, I am not at all happy about what they consider to be a replacement.  Right now users seem to be very unhappy about the lack of a patch making Endnote compatible with Word 2016, and also are very unhappy with transparency about this situation.  So I would like to ask: what would you recommend to replace Reference Manager?

Susan

Susan Elliott, MLS
Department of Family & Community Medicine
University of Missouri
Columbia, MO
Highlighted
New User

Check out Mendeley (

<a href="https://www.mendeley.com/">website here</a>

).

• It's free (with options to upgrade).
  • It's cross-platform (Windows, OSX, and Linux).
  • You can view and annotate PDFs.
  • You can import citations from PDFs
  • You can insert citations into Word, etc.

I don't work for them, but I've been using them for years, and I'm a huge fan.