01-22-2016 06:49 AM
After having written 50 pages I am told to change my reference method. In the text I was always mentioning author, year and page. While of course keeping the overview of all references at the back of the text I would like in a row to change the in-text reference by a footnote reference. is this possible?
01-28-2016 12:38 PM
You can use a Word macro to have Word shift the placement on the in-text citations to a footnote.
You will want to make a backup copy of the document first.
1. In Word 2007/2010 with Reference Manager 12, go to the Reference Manager 12 tab and choose the "Convert Citations and Bibliography > Convert to Unformatted Citations" command.
In Word 2007 with Reference Manager 10/11, go to the Addins tab and choose the Reference Manager > Revert to Original Text" command.
In Word 2000/2002 (XP)/2003 go to the Tools Menu and select "Reference Manager > Revert to Original Text" command.
2. This should revert all the citations into the temporary citation format and remove the reference list from the end of the document.
3. Click [Ctrl] + A to select all.
4. Copy the document text
5. Download the Word document titled "TextToFootnotes.doc" under Attachments in this post.
6. Paste the text into this file. Note: If prompted, select to enable the Macro when opening this file.
7. In Word 2007/2010, Go to the View tab, choose "Macros" and select "View Macros." Select "Convert_to_footnote" and choose "Run."
In all other versions of Word, Go to “Tools > Macros and choose "Macros" from the submenu. Select "Convert_to_footnote" and choose "Run."
8. Once this is run, the in-text citations will be copied into footnotes.
9. When the document has been updated, you can copy it into a new document.
10. You should now be able to format this version of the document in the appropriate style.
With Reference Manager 12 in Word 2007/2010, go to the Reference Manager 12 tab and choose the "Update Citations and Bibliography" command.
With Reference Manager 10/11 in Word 2007, go to the Add-Ins tab and choose the "Reference Manager > Generate Bibliography" command.
Let us know if you have any questions or if this does not resolve the issue.