New User

Re: Preliminary publication of new lists of Highly Cited Researchers

When I looked at the Physics list, I first laughed then I cried, as the flawed ranking will impact University Rankings via the Shanghai ranking (and have other repercussions), which will impact the decision of people and will lower, for example, the quality of the Chinese graduate students I will get. That is how personal the responsibility of Thomson Reuters really is. They are messing with the lives of people. 

Some of the key problems have been aptly described by Domingo Docampo. The overvaluation of big science is massive. For example, Stony Brook University would with the current proposed list suddenly  have several highly cited physicists, including a teaching professor. Go figure

On obvious solution would be to normalize the impact of papers by the number of authors. It would more properly measure productivity and fractional impact. This is the same for GDP per person, when one compares small and large countries. Why not for papers?

Obvious problems with the prior list better not be repeated. Uwe Becker, a common name, for example, contains a record (to this day in WoS) that is not disaggregated into obviously different people that contribute to the record. A human would spot the trouble right away, Publications from AMO Physics, to Astro Physics, High Energy Physics. The original unaggregated data led to the following:

http://highlycited.com/categories/Physics.html

This is been partially corrected by the AMO person using a researcher ID. An honest effort that needs to be applauded, but Thomas Reuters badly failed. I am not confident looking at the initial suggested new list that they will do much better the next time around. Sorry to be so pessimistic, but I hope this mistrust will create extra energy to get it right.

Harald Ade

New User

Today belongs to the second half of February and it is not "early February". Any news?

New User

Good evening,

"Early February" was one month and a half ago... When do we have to expect the publication of the updated lists?
Would it be at least possible to have access to the lists for the 15 categories that were ready three months ago?

Thank you very much for your help and best regards.

Visitor

Hi - Could you let the community know if you are still planning on publishing htese lists.  There seem to be continual delays.

Thanks,

Na

New User

The President of my University informed me that he received the new list, in order to check the correctness of the affiliations of people from my University.

So the list is already going around.

Is it possible to know when it will be officially published?

Thank you.

Visitor

It seems that the Center for World-Class Universities at Shanghai Jiao Tong University and the Highly Cited Researcher team at Thomson Reuters has been working together in order to obtain a new list, which is not published yet.

As far as I know, the CWCU has sent a preliminary list of Highly Cited Researchers in order to verify institutional affiliations of the HCR's, which are encouraged to sign & sent a request form by April 20th, 2014. 

About the definitive publications date they just wrote:

"Shanghai Jiao Tong University will share the requests to update institutional affiliations with Thomson Reuters, and these changes will be reflected in the list of Highly Cited Researchers which will be published online by Thomson Reuters"

I hope someone from TR could give us more information...

Kind regards,

Carles

New User

OK, this is exactly the information I received from the President of my University.

It would be nice to get some info directly from Thomson Reuters.

Thank you.

Thomson Reuters

[ Edited ]

Thomson Reuters is in the process of publishing the an update to Highly Cited Researchers, recognizing approximately 3,000 researchers from 21 fields of research. These researchers have contributed the most highly cited publications of the past 11 years to their fields. Since Highly Cited Researchers were first featured on ISIHighlyCited.com, this list has gained additional significance to the research community as a component of the Academic Ranking of World Universities. In 2014, Thomson Reuters and Shanghai Jiao Tong University are working together, in collaboration with researchers and administrators, to finalize the list of Highly Cited Researchers. 

Thomson Reuters has selected source data from the Web of Science, defined the project methodology, and performed the editorial analysis on people and publications to identify Highly Cited Researchers. In each field, Thomson Reuters selected the people who contributed to the greatest number of publications.

After designating Highly Cited Researchers in a field of research, Thomson Reuters sent the list, including first name, last name, institutional affiliation(s) and email address of the Highly Cited Researchers to Shanghai Jiao Tong University. Since institutional affiliation from the metadata of a researcher’s papers may have changed since the time of publication, Shanghai Jiao Tong University contacted researchers and administrators to request that they provide author affiliation information as of the end of 2013.

Shanghai Jiao Tong University emailed each Highly Cited Researcher for whom contact information was available, to notify them that they have been selected as a Highly Cited Researcher, and asking them to return a form to update institution affiliation. Shanghai Jiao Tong University also reached out to administrative contacts to request that they review the Highly Cited Researchers in each category, and to return a form noting any author who is not, but should be affiliated with their institution. 

Thomson Reuters has now selected Highly Cited Researchers in all 21 fields of research, and Shanghai Jiao Tong University has set a deadline of April 20, 2014 for all requests for affiliation updates by researchers and institutional contacts. After Shanghai Jiao Tong University processes the requested updates and sends the updated file back to Thomson Reuters, Thomson Reuters will publish the update to Highly Cited Researchers and a description of the methodology used to produce it.

For questions about the Academic Ranking of World Universities, please contact the Center for World-Class Universities of Shanghai Jiao Tong University

New User

Thank you very much for the information.

I understand that the new lists will be made publicly available at the end of April, correct?

Best regards.

New User

You had mentioned  the new Highly Cited Researcher list will be released in February but I cannot find it. When will it be releaased? Thank you.  Hojjat