New User

entering unpublished letters into endnote - Chicago Style

Hi

Can anyone tell me the best reference output for unpublished letters in Chicago 16th Style

My reference needs to appear in the following format in a footnote.

Allan Holland to Stella Holland, 9 August 1914, MS 6265/1/21, Patrick O’Farrell Papers, National Library of Australia, Canberra.

I've tried manuscript but it adds "" if I place Allan Holland to Stella Holland in the title area or jumbles the words in the bibliography if I add it to the space for author

Mentor

Re: entering unpublished letters into endnote - Chicago Style

[ Edited ]

see you already posted to endnote forums --http://community.thomsonreuters.com/t5/EndNote-How-To/How-to-cite-unpublished-letters-from-archives-... so I copied the reply there.

This isn't the Endnote forum, and it has no ability to attach files, so we can't really help with an example style.  I suggest you might repost to http://community.thomsonreuters.com/t5/EndNote-Styles-Filters-and/bd-p/en-files

(or go to community link above which will show the 4 forums related to endnote)  if the below doesn't answer your question.  

We will need to know what fields all that info (generic) lives in in the record you created and the currently defined Reference Type for that record (Manuscript?).  

Try adding a comma after the author field if it is entered as 

Allan Holland to Stella Holland

should fix any author issues. 

If there is no title field, this would explain the empty "" as Manuscript is using the generic footnote template which is 

Author, "Title,"| in Secondary Title|, ed. Secondary Author|, Tertiary Title| (|Place Published|: Publisher, Year|; reprint, Reprint Edition|)|, Cited Pages|.

I would create a template for manuscript if you don't use it for anything else. you might start with a template from one of the other reference types and edit it to retain the fields and  add additional fields you use, and reorder them as necessary.  

Like I said, if this were in a endnote forum, you could give the info on field used, and I might be able to modify chicago 16th (A?) for you and attach the output style.  -- simply copy your query and additional information, into a new post in the endnote forum, and other users can take it from there to assist you!   

lflett wrote:

Hi

Can anyone tell me the best reference output for unpublished letters in Chicago 16th Style

My reference needs to appear in the following format in a footnote.

Allan Holland to Stella Holland, 9 August 1914, MS 6265/1/21, Patrick O’Farrell Papers, National Library of Australia, Canberra.

I've tried manuscript but it adds "" if I place Allan Holland to Stella Holland in the title area or jumbles the words in the bibliography if I add it to the space for author

(long time Endnote user)
Visitor

It's great information I am also infixed to searching the method l you find this style please do share with me too

http://www.viriksonmoroccoholidays.co.uk
New User

thank u so much