Thomson Reuters

Re: EndNote styles - (Smith et al., 2006; 2007; 2008)

The main Right-click Edit Cition menu options are only available if you have ONE citation that you are editing.  Multiple citations in groups will not work with that option becuase EndNote doesn't know which one you are going to edit.  You must Edit Citation/More and then select options for the individual citations that you want to edit from the group.

So the workaround for the multiple citation issue to achieve the:

(Smith, 1997; 1998; 2011)

Is to insert your citations normally,

Hover over the citation group

Right Click and Select "Edit Citation--More"

In the upper window select the citation you wish to edit

in the lower "Edit Citation" window next to "Formating:" select "Exclude Author"

Do this for all the subsequent matching last author names, then click okay.

This should resolve those citations so that the first last name appears and the resut are just Years.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Sincerely,

Cheryl -- The EndNote Team

Mentor

[ Edited ]

But I expect the answer is going to be -- that there is no way for the rt click to know which author to hide.  Smiley Frustrated  - and yep, there it is in your reply below (or above depending on how you view these).

yes, finally found it, but not very intuitive - very many clicks. 

Honestly, how often do you think there is going to be a grouped reference with the first author having the same last name and it not BE the same person?  -- I know, I know.  It only has to happen once and the user will be irate that it isn't handled correctly. 

But the obvious correct behavior would be for Endnote to first check if the primary-first author is the same, and if not impose the disambiguaton steps (2008a, 2008b and then adding initials for your example), and then to apply the omit to the identical first author group.   That is how they will end up in a publication citation for most journals I have come across. 

(long time Endnote user)
Enthusiast

This thread seemed to end hanging with Leanne's 12-11-2012 comment that:

"But the obvious correct behavior would be for Endnote to first check if the primary-first author is the same, and if not impose the disambiguaton steps (2008a, 2008b and then adding initials for your example), and then to apply the omit to the identical first author group.   That is how they will end up in a publication citation for most journals I have come across." 

I agree, and there seemed to be no argument on this point, but anything new from EndNote?  

I too was trying figure out a way to meet that expectation for a jounal force abbreviation of in text citations to non-identical, but non-ambiguous author lists.   Let’s say, I have two articles, one by Dewey, Cheatham, and Howell (2001) and one by Dewey, Cheatham, Howell, and Wye (2002). I would like to abbreviate the in text citations to appear as (Dewey et al., 2001; 2002).  I can usually get this results OK through playing with excluding authors in individual citations (I'm still on X4), but it would be nice to be able to do this more consistently through style definitions. 

Cheers, Chris

Mentor

[ Edited ]

That is unlikely to happen, simply because most publishers ask for the truncation to Author et al, only after 3 authors (ie 4 or more).  3 authors are usually included  -- but I agree if each has 4 or more authors.  ( guess this thread might be better placed in "suggestions").  

(long time Endnote user)
New User

Hi,

I was wondering if anybody knows a way of getting "(Smith et al., 2006, 2007, 2008)", with commas instead of semicolons.

Thanks!

Catherine

Mentor

[ Edited ]

I don't think you can, if the style requires semi-colons between different citations.  If all of them should be commas, then the separation character is in the output style (see image attached). 

A workaround is to hide the other authors and year, and type in the years, but that is annoying.  

I let the publishers fix it, at the end of the day, if they have a house style that requires it.  Most are used to Endnote user's and the minor limitations imposed by automated software.  

sorry -- editing this incorrect reply -- see next post.  

(long time Endnote user)
Mentor

I stand corrected.  I found that this setting is in the Citations Author name settings.  Sorry for the misdirect.  

(long time Endnote user)