Visitor

EndNote styles - (Smith et al., 2006; 2007; 2008)

Hello,

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but is there a way to format the styles so the in text citations read:

(Smith et al., 2006; 2007; 2008), as opposed to (Smith et al., 2006; Smith et al., 2007; Smith et al., 2008).

Thank you

Thomson Reuters

Re: EndNote styles - (Smith et al., 2006; 2007; 2008)

Hi,

Yes the trick is to suppress the author names.  If you open the style that you are using,

"Edit/Output Style then click on the Edit "Stylename" (where stylename is your your style)

Scroll down and expand "Citations"

Locate the  "Author Name" settings

In the bottom of that box tick the "Omit Repeated Authors" box

Then tick the "Separate these citations with" box and type in a separator along with the punctuation.

Save your style (the style editor will append the word "Copy" to the end you can back that out if you wish.

Reformat your paper and the citation should suppress the names correctly.

Sincerely,

Cheryl - The EndNote Team

Mentor

I have never understood why the "omit repeated authors" setting doesn't work for these. 

(long time Endnote user)
Visitor

Thanks - I have tried this, but it still does not seem to work.  I'm wondering if it doesn't work as the references are "et al"s, and the group of authors is different for each reference, therefore it treats them seperately?

Visitor

Here is an example of two in-text citations, and the references.  It must be an issue with the fact that et al authors are different. Can this be overridden?

(Bonow et al., 2006a; Bonow et al., 2006b; Bonow et al., 2007; Green et al., 2011)

(Lane et al., 2006, 2010)

BONOW, J. M., JAPSEN, P., LIDMAR-BERGSTRÖM, K., CHALMERS, J. A. & PEDERSEN, A. K. 2006a. Cenozoic uplift of Nuussuaq and Disko, West Greenland—elevated erosion surfaces as uplift markers of a passive margin. Geomorphology, 80, 325-337.

BONOW, J. M., LIDMAR-BERGSTROM, K. & JAPSEN, P. 2006b. Palaeosurfaces in central West Greenland as reference for identification of tectonic movements and estimation of erosion. Global and Planetary Change, 50, 21.

BONOW, J. M., LIDMAR-BERGSTRÖM, K., JAPSEN, P., CHALMERS, J. A. & GREEN, P. F. 2007. Elevated erosion surfaces in central West Greenland and southern Norway: their significance in integrated studies of passive margin development. NORWEGIAN JOURNAL OF GEOLOGY, 87, 10.

GREEN, P. F., JAPSEN, P., CHALMERS, J. A. & BONOW, J. M. 2011. Thermochronology, erosion surfaces and missing section in West Greenland. Journal of the Geological Society, 168, 817-830.

LANE, T. P., REA, B. & ROBERTS, D. H. 2006. l;j'.

LANE, T. P., REA, B. & ROBERTS, D. H. 2010. kjjl.

Mentor

[ Edited ]

This workaround used to work, but I just tested it, and if there is more than one author in the citation, the options in the drop down all appear greyed out.  You cannot apply the show year only (omit author) in a group of citations,  in X6 anyway? 

The only way I was able to do it was to either insert the citations individually, with a space between them, and then perform the hide author function, then remove the space (or unformat the citations to the curly bracketed state and remove the author leaving the comma and reformat). 

I think there is a bug. 

My comment about the "omit" option was for the developers, as this has never worked unless the author list for each reference is identical. Well, never may not be true.  I do think it once worked as intended, but that was a long long time ago.   

(long time Endnote user)
Thomson Reuters

Got it,

Yes, to EndNote these are not the "same" author, each set is different and *not* ambiguous according to the formatter currently, so it isn't a bug it is just the way EndNote is interpreting the author ambiguity.  For instance:

Smith, J. L., Thomas, R. A., Jones, D. B., 2008

Is not the same as

Smith, J. L., Williams, B. D., 2008

Nor the same as:

Smith, R. S., Thomas, R.A., 2008

We would need to add another option to the "omit" settings that says "if the first author last name is the same, then omit repeated authors", disregarding all other authors in the reference.  But then we get into a hook if the first authors initials are different and the year is the same because they will be in different places in the bibliography.  For instance:

(Smith, 2008a, 2008b) and (Smith, 2008)  could refer to two different Smiths, writing in 2008--so which one is which?  adding initials after the authors will settle this issue (which is the preferred method) but if this option is not turned on then the reader will indeed have an issue finding that citation. 

The idea behind a reference citation is that it should be easy for your reader to refer to the exact citation in the bibliography, if they cannot find it easily or cannot determine which Smith 2008 they are referring to things may get messy.

I'll sumbit a suggestion to our development team for further investigation.

Sincerely,

Cheryl -- The EndNote Team

Thomson Reuters

Leanne,

Exclude year is working for me--can you post the style that isn't working so I can take a look?

Thanks

Cheryl - The EndNote Team

Mentor

[ Edited ]

the style and a quick document (which is renamed from .doc to .txt to allow posting). 

Endnote X6.0.1

Word 2010 ver 14.0.6112.5000 (32-bit)

okay that is my final Edit!

(long time Endnote user)
Thomson Reuters

Oh Okay, I got it--the right click menu is greyed out.   That is what you were referring to right?  If you Edit and then More you can use the options there.

I'll check into the right click menu issue.

Cheryl -- The EndNote Team