Regular

Re: Fix Period Problem With Long Footnotes

I have X7 and it is still not fixed. My last contact I had who was working on the issue is no longer in the same department and when my concerns were forwarded, I received no reply back. So looks like this is dead in the water. I cannot recommend this program for humanities. 

Regular

Just an update for those interseted in this. I received an email from Thomson Reuters about this issue. I am sad to report that it looks this this issue won't be resolved anytime soon. It appears there are more technical issues involved than can currently be solved, partly due to trying to make the program as easy to use for everyone.

I can sympathize with wanting the program to be easy to use for all, and I understand that the humanities probably uses Endnote less than the sciences, but I am still disappointed that after five years or more there hasn't been a good solution to this problem. 

They are recommending users with the problem to adjust output styles (I think they mean here to remove the periods at the end of citations and entering them manually when wanted) or using cited pages and suffix text. Those are quite inellegant solutoins, but they are the best we will have for quite some time by the sound of it. 

I do want to thank Endnote for responding to my inquiry in a helpful manner, even if it wasn't the answer I wanted. I do understand it is a challenge to balance the needs of their various users. 

SGL
New User

Hi. I happened to read this thread and thought I could contribute. I believe I accidentally found a solution to this problem as I was completing my thesis.

I found some of my notes without a period at the end of them (and in other places periods missing too). When I looked at the reference in Endnote I found that I had left an extra space at the end of the field which would normally have a period after it. This occured also in the CWYW addition of the page number. So I corrected this where it was needed, but I used it to deliberately remove the period at the end of some citations when I wished the citation to be wtihin a sentence. E.g. Following [Citation1] and [Citation 2], but against [Citation3] - for citation 1 and 2 I added an extra space after the page number in the modify citation (more) area and this neatly deleted the terminal periods after the page numbers without adding any extra space.

When I found this it looked to be like a deliberate feature of Endnote - though I have not looked for any documentation on this.

regards,

Simon

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Has there been any progress with regard to this major problem for people using notes (i.e., most users) in X8? This topic was started in November 2008 by jtskier1200r and was revived a few times (2009, 2010, 2016). The update by jtskier1200r (28 April 2014) following a communication by the designers did not bode well for a timely solution. This remains for me the chief concern with EndNote. When will we be able to write the text of our notes without having to resort to various shenanigans to avoid periods appearing in the wrong places?