Visitor

Sorting References

I find the primitive sort options on the iPad app extremely frustrating, particularly the Sort by Year option, which sorts from the oldest to the newest. More often than not, I need to find the most recent references and these do not necessarily equate with the Date Added. If there are a large number of references in the sort list (I guess about > 50) not all the most recent references appear when I scroll to the bottom of the list. If I am lucky, a panel appears at the bottom inviting me to "Find more references". This option seems to appear at random, so I frequently have to start the process all over again. When I finally arrive at the bottom of the scroll list and attempt to open a reference, the app often crashes.

A toggle switch on the sort options which enables sorting by New to Old  and Z to A etc would vastly improve reference searches.

Visitor

Re: EndNote for iPad

I just installed the iPad Version of Endnote and I feel very dissapointed. My intention was to have a mobile version of my Endnote library, like the app-description suggested. I want to read and search through all my articles on the go.

I just finished my PhD and my library has somewhat 500 entries which I would consider quite average at this stage of my carreer. After synching to EndnoteWeb and then synching to the iPad, I now have the whole database on my iPad. Until this point everything worked flawlessly. But all attached pdf's are missing.

I understand that I can synch them after tagging them as favorite, but I am supposed to do this for all 500+ entries? Seriously?

The app already has the option to mark all references. Why not add "mark all as favorites"? Or at least grant the option to mark/unmark whole groups as favorites.

As another user already mentioned, I don't really see the point in the app without all the attachements.

The option to mark a whole group as favorite would help a lot! Please consider.

We hear you and already have this on our To Do list. For now, yes, you would need to manually mark each item as a favorite but in the future we plan to add more options to automate this.

Thanks for the input.

Jason Rollins, the EndNote team

User

Could you give us an ETA for this and other improvements? The app has been out for 7 months or so, and perhaps an update is on its way?

We have actually already put out 3 updates for the iPad app - the current version is 1.0.3. And, we are always looking at options for new enhancements. The next major update will focus on improving the PDF annotation capabilites - which has been the feature we have had most of the feedback on so far. We hope to have this released in the next 6-8 weeks. 

User

I continue to have intermittent crashing problems with the app- it seems to happen mostly when I search my library and then tap on a reference.  The app crashes instead of opening the side bar.  This happens repeatedly and seemingly without pattern, until it suddenly stops and I am okay for a while.  The app is not only useless when this is happening, it is extremely irritating.

I am also having problems with downloaded pdfs disappearing (I won't bother chiming in about a global attachment sync function, as the point has been made).  The thumbnail image remains in the library, but the attachment is gone and I have to download it again.  I cannot find a pattern with this, either.  As the the primary reason I have this app (and, to be honest, an iPad at all) is to read pdfs from my library, I find this bug particularly concerning.

New User

Thank you for all your hard work! Looking forward to seeing the annotation update.

Contributor

Hi Jason - 

As you can tell there is a great deal of interest in having proper annotations on the PDFs so that they sync back to the desktop.  I know you said 6-8 weeks, but could you give us an update as to whether this is close to functional, and whether there is a beta test list?

The reason I ask is Papers has just come out with a version that has excellent annotation, but their sync is not very stable even in the latest builds.  I would love to know that this is coming soon to the Endnote app so I don't have to worry about another app for this purpose.

Thanks for listening, and for any info we would also be grateful...

John

Yes, the "PDF standard annotation" capabilities are something we are currently testing internally for the 1.1 update to EndNote for iPad. We are not planning to do any external beta testing but our internal testing is going very well. Timing is always approximate [especially when Apple and their App Store submission process is involved] but here is what we are currently working on for EndNote for iPad:

- 1.0.4 update - this includes a few bug fixes and should be sumbitted to Apple any day now

- 1.1 update - this includes substantial updates to the PDF functionality as well as many other fixes and improvements - hope to have this out in a month or so

- 1.1.x update - this will include optimizations for iOS 7 - not sure on release of this but we are starting to work on this now.

All of these will be free updates to anyone who has bought the app.

Contributor

Thanks Jason - I can't tell you how nice it is to have a road map for these things to plan around.  Communication with TR around its applications was never a strong point -- you may be changing my opinion!

Looking forward to the PDF annotations.  Glad the sync functionality has been so stable on this.