Enthusiast

EndNote for iPad

I found the iPad version today and installed it. It looks promising so far.

I would like to see the ability to link to locations other than DropBox, specifically I'd like to be able to link to Google Drive (which also has an iPad app).

I want to add my preference to that of others who are looking for a more user friendly PDF storage approach. I want to be able to access and edit PDFs via Adobe Acrobat Pro XI (and other PDF annotation software), link to stored PDFs from other programs like EverNote, and use more intuitive names for PDF files. I would be content to have all of  my PDFs stored on Google Drive (or some other cloud server system) and have links embedded in EndNote (without having to store the PDFs in an EndNote file system).

New User

Re: EndNote for iPad

I will second akileen's post. EndNote iPad's organizational abilitites look really good, and I'm happy with the way that it works (although I haven't tested it extensviely). However, the PDF viewer needs a lot of work. Among other things, it needs to support 1) searching, 2) direct page access, 3) bookmarking, 4) text highlighting, copying, 5) annotation tools that "round-trip" so that you can view them in Endnote on your desktop or any other PDF app. I use Goodreader and I can probably figure out a way to use its annotation tools, but then I need to re-add the document as an attachment every time I make an annotation in Goodreader and return it to EndNote.

Thanks for the good start, though. Much appreciated, and I look forward to the next iteration.

Enthusiast

I agree with these suggestions.  In particular, I would like to see the EndNote sync directly to SugarSync.  Also, PDFs need to have a search feature, text highlighting, copying, and annotation that is also viewable on the desktop.

Visitor

The ability to annotate pdf is a must. And also to be able to connect to more choices of cloud based services such as Sugarsync.......

User

Simply being able to sync attachments with the app must be possible- right now, you have to individually tap to download each attachment within each individual reference.  Not a solution for large libraries!  This is a fundamental first step before maintaining annotations.

Here is a bug I found- when you tap to download an attachment, don't touch anything else!  When I would try to open an adjacent reference (to get another download started), the app crashed.  On startup, you have to wait for it to sync again before you can do anything- this is annoying.

Regular

Strongly agree about the need to be able to download ALL attachments. I have over 1000 and don't relish the idea of tapping each one to download.

Regular

Strongly aggree with all of Geoff22s suggestions. 

Yes - this is a bit clunky "... don't relish the idea of tapping each one to download." - we actually have some web services in place that we plan to hook into the app in an update soon. We really just wanted to wait and hear from real cusotmers that they want all attachments [up to 5GB worth anyway] downloaded at once. We have now heard this.

Of course, the moment that we implement this feature, I can almost guaranetee that someone else is going to post here saying that they did "...NOT want all file attachments download and that EndNote is filling up all of the memory on their iPad."   :-)

Jason Rollins, the EndNote team

Mentor

So it is obvious, you need to have a toggle option or you need to ask everytime!  -- But someone will want something in-between!

(long time Endnote user)
Highlighted
New User

SImply put - there MUST be an easier way to sync-upload PDF's to the iPad app.

• Possible suggestions
  • - somehow set the "favorites as  a group" so one can move/copy multiple entries into "favorites"
  • - allow an entire group to be set as a "favorite" (the settings menu already has a "manage my groups feature)

Secondly - annotations need to sync to the document through the clound and to the desktop library.  One method would be the integration with other app's - eg I could open my pdf in goodreader (which I can already do), and after having anotated the document it saves it - back into my endnote iPad Library, which then would sync it to the cloud and to my desktop... (note - one can already do something like this with goodreader-you just load/remote-sync your endnote pdf folder from dropbox.  any edited files end up in your desktop library.

I seriously think a single library file format is ideal.  eg - the same library/files used on the ipad sync to the cloud sync to the desktop.  I was very excited to see the "link to dropbox"  but I was honestly hoping I could simply browse to my library (which is already in dropbox) and open it!  How easy would that have been?!?!