Highlighted
Contributor

Disable "rating" in reference window

Please make it possible to remove the "rating" row at the top of the reference window in X6. As an intensive Endnote user, I have customized the many reference types I use, but now find that I have this unnecessary feature imposed at the very top of the reference window. It is immensely irritating: if it must be retained, please allow the option of shifting it to the very bottom of the reference window. This is one new feature that has me considering going back to X5.

Regular

Re: Disable "rating" in reference window

Has this been fixed? It bugs the heck out of me.

Mentor

[ Edited ]

It is very simple to remove the ratings from the library display in the Endnote>Edit>preferences, display field options.  You can change it to another field, or [do not display] options, which will move all the subsequent fields up and leave you the last field to fill with something else, after you save the change. 

(long time Endnote user)
Contributor

This doesn't remove it from the reference window (where you enter the details for a reference).

Mentor

Re: Disable "rating" in reference window (votes from any others this irritates?)

True, and it doesn't seem to be a part of the reference type either, so can't change it in preferences either I guess.  I rarely enter records, manually, so I never noticed that.  Sorry. But when you create a new record, the cursor at least starts out in the Author field and not the rating field (both in a new record and in an established record).

How many other users have a problem with the rating option at the top of an open record.  Vote here!

(long time Endnote user)
Contributor

Re: Disable "rating" in reference window (votes from any others this irritates?)

I will probably become accustomed to starting entry at the correct line (the title is usually what I enter first, so at the moment it often happens that I accidentally enter the title in the "Year" field, and then have to move it). But I have removed many of the fields in the reference types I use so that most of the information for a reference can be displayed in a single window without the need for scrolling. This will be especially a problem with my 10" screen netbook I use when travelling. So for me the "Rating" row is dead space I would like to be able to turn off.

Contributor

I agree, the new "rating" row is very irratating, a waste of space, and completely useless. I'd like to turn it off too. "Rating" articles is completely meaningless for a citation management program like EndNote. It's almost childish - especially for those who of us who are using EndNote to maintain serious research. Can you imagine submitting an article to a peer-reviewed journal with references based upon which citations we personally "like" the best? Again, this is stupid and childish. It needs to be removed or, at the very least, give us the opportunity to get rid of it.

Administrator

Thank you for the feedback. Keep in mind while this feature may not be useful for you, other users of the software have previously requested an option to be able rate EndNote library records as an organizational aid. See the following for some examples:

http://community.thomsonreuters.com/t5/EndNote-Product-Suggestions/Add-rating-stars-next-to-the-auth...

http://community.thomsonreuters.com/t5/EndNote-Product-Suggestions/Publication-Ratings-like-iTunes/m...

http://community.thomsonreuters.com/t5/EndNote-Product-Suggestions/Journal-rating/m-p/6533

However, some feedback on an option to be able to remove the Ratings field in the Record view would be very helpful.

Thank you,

Jason Berman
Technical Sup Rep RS

Thomson Reuters

Phone: +1 800-336-4474
thomsonreuters.com

Jason Berman
Technical Sup Rep RS

Clarivate Analytics

Phone: +1 800-336-4474
clarivate.com
Contributor

I understand that some users might find it useful, but a major change to the reference window should be optional, not imposed at its head. I use the "User Defined" fields for a number of non-standard entries or to mark references I want to use in a particular context; an i-pod-style star rating scheme at the top of my references, on the other hand, is just irritating. If you must retain "Rating", please make it an optional field, or move it to the bottom of the window. Thanks.

Contributor

Chiming in to agree--give me the option to get rid of this feature which is useless to me. It often seems like the developers of EndNote don't actually use this tool with the strange features which are added (reminds me of the ill considered integrated library and online search mode).

Please issue a fix for this..