Visitor
Accepted Solution

How to merge a reference and a PDF-generated reference

I have a library of over 1200 references of which about a third (400) have reference information and a file attached.  The other two thirds are 400 references (citation data) Ioaded into endnote from Google scholar or other database, and 400 references I downloaded as PDFs to a folder, then uploaded into Endnote, assuming it would be simple enough to merge them later.

I seem to have been wrong and I cannot find how to merge the two.  It seemed like it would be an obvious problem.

For example:

Fleming, L. and O. Sorenson (2001). "Technology as a complex adaptive system: evidence from patent data." Research policy 30(7): 1019-1039.  (No PDF Attached)

If I search the title in the PDFs I've uploaded I can find it quite quickly as a PDF with no citation info.  How do I reconcile these two entries more easily than saving the PDF back to a known location and uploading it again to the reference?

Mentor

Re: How to merge a reference and a PDF-generated reference

Not possible.  Join the chorus of requesters in the Suggestions forum asking for a combine duplicates option!  Make a new one, or add your voice (like to this one: http://community.thomsonreuters.com/t5/EndNote-Product-Suggestions/Duplicate-handling-merge-referenc...

(long time Endnote user)
Visitor

Re: How to merge a reference and a PDF-generated reference

Thanks!  I've added my vote.