Visitor
Accepted Solution

How to make "et al" appear in in-text citations in APA 6th

Hello,

I am using Endnote 8, APA 6th, and Word 2002. I am trying to get Endnote to cite one author plus et al when there are more than 3 authors.

After reading some messages in here, I have checked for the following:

Edit > Output styles > Edit "APA 6th", then Citations/Author Lists, and it is currently ticked for:

"abbreviated author list - first appearance: if 6 or more authors, list the first 1 and abbreviate with et al in italics"

"abbreviated author list - subsequent appearance: if 3 or more authors, list the first 1 and abbreviate with et al in italics"

I have also checked settings in Word, Tools > Endnote > Format bibliography, and it is set to "Output style: APA 6th"

Nevertheless, when I try to insert citation into Word document, it comes out like this: (Oldham, 1995) 

The full reference is 

Oldham, G. R., Cummings, A., Mischel, L.J., Schmidtke, J.M., and Zhou, J. (1995). Listen while you work? Quasi-experimental relations between personal-stereo headset use and employee work response. Journal of Applied Psychology, 80(5), 547-564.

So I want the in-text citation to look more like this: (Oldham et al., 1995) 

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks!

Mentor

Re: How to make "et al" appear in in-text citations in APA 6th

Please attach your current version of  style? 
(long time Endnote user)
Visitor

Hi there,

Thanks for your very quick response! What is it that you need me to attach? The actual .ens-file for APA 6th?

Best regards

Mentor

yes. for example, here is mine, which gives the italicized et al.  I also include the view of the settings. 

Other things to check, that the authors are correctly entered in the record, one to a line.

Oldham, G. R.

Cummings, A.

Mischel, L. J.

Schmidtke, J. M

Zho, J.

But Endnote 8 is a pretty old version and was buggy to boot, so I would upgrade if it is with-in your power! 

(This is a version ENX3 style, but I think they are still compatible). 

(long time Endnote user)
Visitor

Many thanks for your reply. I had not actually written each author on one line, but instead separated them with commas. Splitting them to one line per author now created a new problem: Endnote now cites all authors in the text. So now my citations say (Oldham, Cummings, Mischel, Schmidtke, & Zhou, 1995) - instead of (Oldham, 1995). Obviously made a difference, but still no et al... 

Have attached the things you required. I wish I was able to upgrade, but I am just a fairly poor PhD student studying a distance course, so I probably have to try and sort it out without the upgrade, unfortunately.  

Let me know if you have any other ideas, given the new circumstances above. 

Thanks again!

Mentor

Progress!

That is because it is set (as I believe APA 6th requires) to show up to 5 authors if there are 6 authors or less at the first appearance.  If you want it to only display 2 (as Jones & Smith) and anything over 2 as Jones et al you will need to change that "6" to 3 in the First Appearance box.  (like it is for subsequent appearances).

(long time Endnote user)
Visitor

Fantastic! Huge thanks for all your help!!

New User

what is "first apperance box", please  share a photo or en example 

Mentor

No problem although there are two examples in the posts below (the .gifs)  But here it is again.  Highlighted.  

(long time Endnote user)
New User

I followed that you've mentioned but not working. 

all authors names are showing not et al.

how can I fix this