Mentor

Re: Custom bibliography that includes 'Order of Appearance'

Forgive me, but I don't understand what you are asking.  Endnote will automatically update the numbers based on order of appearance, if the output style is defined as such.  It should happen immediately, if you have CWYW on?  

(long time Endnote user)
Mentor

[ Edited ]

The OP (Nick-H) was trying to resolve an issue regarding bibliography sorting based on order of appearance for an author with multiple publications while maintaining the bibliography list in ascending alpha order by author name. Changing the bibliography sort order to “order of appearance” alone won’t address keeping the author names in alpha order.

It seems to me the second poster (ioannis) wants to do the same as the OP but is using a numbered style. However, even taking that possibility into account doesn’t sufficiently explain what the user is trying to do. So, ioannis, could you provide further description and perhaps examples?

User

Yes i do use a numbered style for my references into the document and i would like to sort my references inside the endnote with the same order. The field "order of appearance" is very usefull but numbers, which represent the order of appearance, are given manually by the author. in order to provide an example let's say that you have only tow references, A and B, in the text and these are in tow different paragraphs each and these are given the number [1] and [2] from the numbered style in the document. You give number 1 to A and 2 to B in the "oder of appearance" field. If you want to change the order of the paragraphs then the refrence B will come first and the number [1] will be assigned from the numbered sytle in the text. The reference A will then be second and the number [2] will be given respectively. However, inside endnote the reference A will still have number 1 and B number 2 in the field "order of appearance" and the author must change these manually. The question is how can the references be sorted inside the endnote following the order of appearance from the document. I hope that the example is clear.

Mentor

I guess it is clear, but I don't understand why it matters what order they appear in Endnote? Sorry, I am not sure the time that would be necessary for developers to build a mechanism to achieve this, is likely for a single user request.  That is what the bibliography is for? 

(long time Endnote user)
Highlighted
User

Thanks a lot for the answer

Obviously there is no way to have this order so I will use the manual approach

Thank you very much for your time!!

New User

ejtyjjytjty