Highlighted
New User
Accepted Solution

"word was unable to load an add-in" error message at launch of Word for Mac 15.25 despite update to EN 7.7

I never had any trouble to use EN for Mac with different Word 2016 but since updating Word to the 64-bit 15.25 version and despite updating EN to 7.7 (compatible with Word 15.25) I now for the first time get this weird error message at every launch of Word. After accepting the message, everything runs well with EN. I looked for an old "EndNote CWYW Word 2011.bundle" (this is the add-in that seems to be incompatible with Word 15.25 - according to the error message at lauch of Word)... but this old bundle had been deleted a long time ago... does anyone else experience a similar oddity? If yes, did anyone come up with a solution for it?

New User

Re: "word was unable to load an add-in" error message at launch of Word for Mac 15.25 despite update to EN 7.7

Ok, even though this seems odd... but it worked: I removed the EndNote CWYW Word 2011.bundle file in the /Application/EndNote 7/Cite While You Write/ folder. No more weird error message.

New User

Re: "word was unable to load an add-in" error message at launch of Word for Mac 15.25 despite update to EN 7.7

(The EndNote CWYW Word 2008.bundle file will also have to be removed.)

Regular

Thanks so much for this!

New User

The accepted answer did not solve the problem for me. I still got the warning that an Add-In was unable to launch. Then I performed the following search:

sudo find / -iname '*CWYW Word 2016.bundle'

This found one file in

/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office365/User Content.localized/Startup.localized/Word/EndNote CWYW Word 2016.bundle

Deleting this then solved issue for good.