New User

citations suddenly all out of order! Please Help!

I have a huge document in word with citations in the footnotes of each page using EndNote. I've been adding them as I wrote the document all along. Recently, I started editing the document and adding and deleting citations etc. and suddenly all of my citations changed and are now all out of order.

It really is quite a disaster. Does anyone know how I can locate the origin of this problem and fix it? Or at very least what I did wrong?

Thank you.

Brendon 

Mentor

Re: citations suddenly all out of order! Please Help!

Which version of Endnote?

(long time Endnote user)
User

I am afraid that I cannot help you but have just seen your post - I have exactly the same problem.  Each of the citations in my document (85,000 words) is appearing one later than it should.

I wonder did you manage to solve your problem and how did you do it. ?

Mentor

[ Edited ]
And I repeat, which version of Endnote?
Message Edited by Leanne on 09-18-2008 08:42 AM
(long time Endnote user)
User

i am using endnote x.

in the meantime, i seem to have solved the problem.

for some reason, endnote was putting citations late from a particular citation in the document in which i had added a prefix. i removed this citation and everything is back to normal, however i cannot add the prefix that i wanted in that citation.

thanks again for prompt reply.

Mentor

Ahh,  see this FAQ  http://www.endnote.com/support/faqs/CWYW/faq22.asp

(long time Endnote user)
User

thanks v much
Visitor

OK, but I have the same original problem.  I have a fairly large document created by combining several smaller ones.  Each one was created using different EndNote Libraries (different co-authors).  So now the full document bibliography does not have the correct order.  It should be in the order the citations appear in the text, but it's not.  For example, the first citation in the document is not [1], instead it's [10].   The citation numbers do match up correctly to the Bibliography numbers.  But I can't get it to re-order properly.
Mentor

But somewhere in the document there is a [1]?  It looks like the style you are using is perhaps alpha rather than the order cited?  What style are you using to format the document?  If you open that style for editing, how is the Sort order set in the Bibliography section?
(long time Endnote user)
Visitor

Yes, there is a [1] in the document.  I'm using IEEE style in EndNote X2.  The Sort order is set to "Order of appearance", just as in your gif.  The ordering that comes out is close to order of appearance, but there are some significant departures from it.