Mentor

Re: citations suddenly all out of order! Please Help!

[ Edited ]

I updated the link to the knowledge base since the old link was broken and out of date. 10/2013

Okay the other time I have seen this happen is if there are figure legends in text boxes with references.  Word (and subsequently Endnote) considers  these items at the front or first, and so the references imbedded in them, are counted first. This problem can be solved by using a frame instead of a text box. Text boxes are part of the "graphics layer", while frames are part of the "text layer". See http://www.endnote.com/kb/82359 for discussion and how to make the conversion. 

(long time Endnote user)
New User

I concur with this comment regarding Word ordering references in the text boxes (figure legends) first (Endnote X6.0.1, Bld 6599).

Also, when I've mixed endnote versions on the same document, I've been royally screwed, similar to the other posters on this thread.

Hello to all the IEEE people out there! Time for LaTeX?

New User

Hi Leanne, 

I have a problem with out of order references in text which cannot be related to text boxes as I don't have any. I was wondering if you could help?

I am using Endnote X7, and working with in-text APA references. 

It seems that occasionally I produce an invisible reference (not visible in text but in the list of reference nonetheless). This seems to shift all the rest of the references in text, so that my text no longer has the right authors next to it, they all move down.

Removing the invisible reference from the list does not solve the problem. The only way I have found so far is to re-enter everything manually :-(

Is there a way to "push down" or up all references in text?

I hope I make sense.

Thanks in advance,

Highlighted
Mentor

I am just a user.  not associated with the company that makes Endnote.  -- I would contact tech support as they have previously indicated they do have tools to push things down.  

If you make a copy and convert to unformated citations, are they correct there?  If they are - then you can clean up the field codes using the instructions here and reformat which usually fixes the problem.  I don't find I have to copy the text to a new document.  

(long time Endnote user)