Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Regular

Will Endnote for Mac x8 Support 64-bit by Fall

So according to multiple Apple rumor sites, 32 bit programs will no longer be supported in the next OS update this fall. According to my computer, Endnote x8 is not a 64 bit program.  I seriously hope this will not require a paid upgrade.  Anyone have any details on this?

Regular

Re: Will Endnote for Mac x8 Support 64-bit by Fall

So I also tweeted this.  The @EndNoteNews Twitter account replied to me stating: 

EndNote X8 is 32-bit, but we are watching the progress of this rumor and will determine a course as information becomes available.

The problem is this isn't a rumor.  I replied to them with several news sites with actual screenshots of the transition.  Its going to be hell to rewrite this Application from the ground up by fall.  I think I need to move to Mendeley or something else because EndNote is really slacking.

Administrator

Hello! I'm the Product Manager for EndNote and I wanted to respond to you directly on this. 

You're correct -- and I could have phrased that better in the Tweet. The timing is still a question mark and that's the part we're still considering rumor, but you're completely right that the transition itself is not. The good news is we've been expecting this and have a lot of the ground work done already. We have a plan and are moving forward as we wait for more concrete timing information from Apple. 

Additionally, from what we've seen and heard from Apple thus far, 32-bit applications are expected to still open and run. There will be a one-time, dismissable warning that the application should be updated, but it shouldn't cause much of a workflow interruption. That said, addressing this is a priority for us as soon as possible. 

I hope that clarifies! Thanks for reaching out. 

Gillian Neff
Product Manager, Authoring and Collaboration
Customer Care

Clarivate Analytics
Formerly the IP & Science business of Thomson Reuters

clarivate.com
ipscience.tr.com
Contributor

I'm a bit surprised there is any issue with this. I mentioned this several months ago as it came up on a development seed of macOS, and indeed it's been clear for some time now that 32-bit apps on the Mac will soon cease to work. I'm running 10.13.5 and do get the warnings. If the app could be recompiled, and perhaps also address the horrible slowdowns I and many others have reported over and over again to no avail, that would be great. The slowdowns are a huge problem and the recompiling to 64-bit support might be a good time to address this. Thanks.

Regular

Thank you for the update both of you guys.  Clearly the popup will come up on 10.13.5 warning its going to stop working, and my guess is it wills top working in 10.14 which will be released this fall (the beta will start in June).  I'm glad to see there has been SOME work on the 64 bit version.  I am also 100 percent behind dtoub and others who are trying to get you all to figure out this slowness issue.  I have a brand new 15" MacBook Pro with touchbar and its painful honestly.  Here's hoping your solution will come sooner rather than later, especially for those of us who like to play with the betas.