Visitor

Sync does not sync record numbers

I've been helping my wife with referencing her thesis.

(She uses Mac, I'm on Windows 10. We use Endnote X7.7.1.)

At some point - over a year ago - we synched her library to a new library on my laptop.

Secure in the knowledge that the libraries were synching, she'd do some work on a chapter of her Thesis, then I'd sort out the references - she'd often put them in quickly and I'd tidy them up with the correct bits in the correct fields etc.

She's getting close to hand in time now, and we've discovered that there are quite a few references with completely different record numbers in the two, originally identical, synched libraries. This means that when I open a chapter on my laptop, I'll find a citation with an author, year, and record number, but the library will have a different record number; and if I make changes because it was entered incorrectly, they aren't synced on her laptop... The idea was that we'd both be able to work on the same documents, and use the same library. 

We need to get the libraries identical again. I tried copying one of the references on her mac, and syncing again. The reference was duly duplicated on both laptops - but the record number was different on the two computers.

What we'd really like is a Dropbox like system, where we can make changes on either computer, and the identical file will be synced, including all the correct record numbers. 

Any suggestions as to how best to get to that point? 

I suspect we might have to cancel syncing on both libraries, create a new version on one of the computers, sync it to the other - so we have two identical libraries - and then use this new version. I guess to stop them getting out of step we'll have to be very careful to not update one library while the other is open - should this work?

I've spent about 4 hours trying to work out how to do this today, and we want to hand in at the end of the week. We thought Endnote would handle all the references without problems; we're very disappointed.

Visitor

Re: Sync does not sync record numbers

Remember when syncing a library that yes, the record numbers will change.

Usually you would make sure to update citations and bibliography then move the document to the other machine. Then open the synced library and first update citations and bibliography in the document. This will match the citations, record numbers to the local library.

If you unformat the citations and then move, yes the citations will miss-match. Go back to the original machine, update citations, move the document and update once again. If that is no longer pssible, you will have to  match the citations.
You will have to go through them all, save and backup the document. Always have back-ups of your library and Word document as you work.

Mentor

This can work, but you can't unformat the document.  It will recognized the same references in the synced libraries or at worst, will use the integrated "travel library" versions of the citations.  Another trick is to routinely copy the the record numbers to the label field, and use the label field in your temporary citations.  This is described in the "little book"  pg 107

To bookmark or send this article to a colleague, please use the following URL: http://endnote.com/kb/129310

To download, please click this link.

(long time Endnote user)
New User

Hi,

I am having the same problem with unmatching record numbers across two different desktops.

Was the solution: 'cancel syncing on both libraries, create a new version on one of the computers, sync it to the other - so we have two identical libraries - and then use this new version' and then being careful to ensure syncing occurs correctly at the end of each Endnote session? Or did you find an alternative solution?

Thanks in advance.

Mentor

[ Edited ]

As I said below, I copy the record numbers (using the copy/move/change tool) to replace the label field and then append a prefix and suffix to them (to make them unique as I find labels are often treated as "contains" rather than as "is" fields by the temporary citation matching - although they may have fixed that).

then change temp citation in preferences to use label rather than the record number.   I have also used the pages field instead, which doesn't require regular copying.    

(long time Endnote user)
New User

I'm brand new to EndNote - have used RefMan for more than 20 years.

Isn't the correct solution that the so-called sync actually sync properly? !

curiously, i set up a new library on one computer and synched it to  my Endnote account.  Then i created a 'new' library on another of my computers and synched (sic) this

none of the record numbers is the same as in the original 'new' library (which had not been touched in the interim)

I'm loathe to go further with EndNote and not be able to do create proper reference lists on different computers, which was a major reason why I even contemplated switching away from RefMan.

Highlighted

Hello,

Leanne is correct. Record numbers are not syncronized with the records. EndNote online does not retain record numbers, and record numbers in each individual library will be unique, and not syncronized through the online version. The method for transfering documents seamlessly between computers is to have them in the "formatted" state with a bibliography at the end, which can be reformatted on the new computer and the record numbers saved in CWYW will be updated to the library on the new compter. We do not recommend using the record numbers as unique identifiers in EndNote, unlike our previous programs like Reference Manager or ProCite where these numbers were more flexible. This is a limitation in the EndNote program.

Thanks,

Colin G.

Customer Care - Technical Support Representative
Clarivate Analytics
Phone: +1 800 336 4474
clarivate.com