Mentor

Re: Endnote web: synching two libraries/How many libraries can one share with others?

[ Edited ]

It would be great if all these were explained in one place though as a part of the "how to" -- maybe a new chapter in Gillian's and Donna's Little Endnote book -- or will that make it too big?

(long time Endnote user)
User

Re: Endnote web: synching two libraries/How many libraries can one share with others?

Dear Rick,

dear Leanne,

Thank you! That was helpful indeed, and now I seem to have figured out how to 'subscribe' to somebody else's library and to 'own' one myself which I can share with others. That said, the number is still limited to a single one, that is I can only share _one_ of my various libraries with others, correct? And: any plans to change this in the future?

And thanks as well for the reference to myendnoteweb.com -- but I do prefer to use the desktop version rather than its online variant only.

Best,

actg

Mentor

Rick wrote:

You have your own, primary library that you can share with up to 14 other people.  When someone shares a library to YOU, that's a completely separate thing from the primary library that is YOURs.  You can share your own primary library with any other 14 people you'd like, and other people can share THEIR libraries to YOU, as many as you'd accept, they're totally separate things from each other and from your own primary library.  Separate from all that, you can share any of the Groups in your primary library with other people as well.  When sharing Groups, you don't share the PDFs stored in the references in those groups, but when sharing Libraries those PDFs and other attachments ARE shared.  I know, it's a compilcated set of options available and easy to confuse, hopefully this post helps clear things up and doesn't make them muddier.

Thanks for the clarification. This was a fuzzy issue for me and unfortunately I missed your posting before running a trial using 2 separate accounts and a couple of libraries and found, as you noted, that “shared” libraries aren’t co-mingled with the synced library but saved independently in a separate section within the Endnote online account. With this issue resolved it’s clear that users can share multiple libraries which in turn remain independent from each library.

Visitor

Re: Endnote web: synching two libraries

Hi Argacia2013,

Some years have passed since you did this, though I am doing the same thing now. However when I go to edit - preferences - sync - and change the details to my second endnote web account - then hit sync the prompt 'this library is different to your last sync, do you want to merge libraries ' still comes up. When you changed your details and then hit sync did this also happen to you?

Do others have problems syncing seperate libraries to seperate online accounts? To make clear I have two online accounts in an attempt to get around the problem of not being able to sync two libraies to one account. Cheers!

Highlighted
Visitor

Re: Endnote web: synching two libraries

Hi Argacia2013,

Some years have passed since you did this, though I am doing the same thing now. However when I go to edit - preferences - sync - and change the details to my second endnote web account - then hit sync the prompt 'this library is different to your last sync, do you want to merge libraries ' still comes up. When you changed your details and then hit sync did this also happen to you?

Do others have problems syncing seperate libraries to seperate online accounts? To make clear I have two online accounts in an attempt to get around the problem of not being able to sync two libraies to one account. Cheers!