New User

Endnote X8 slowness problem ("lagging")

I find Endnote X8 to be lagging when I am editing entries. I am using a Mac, and the spinning colorful circle often appears when I am using Endnote, for example saving a new entry or editing fields within an entry.

I had the same issue with Endnote X7.

To clarify: This is not a Microsoft Word issue, but happens within EndNote itself. Microsoft Word is switched off.

Has anyone else had similar issues? And if yes, could you resolve them?

I'm happy to supply more information if required. All other programs are working well on my computer.

Thanks in advance!

Administrator

Re: Endnote X8 slowness problem ("lagging")

Click on the Tools menu of EndNote and select Library Summary. If you can supply the information you see here, that may help us diagnose the issue.

Jason Berman
Technical Sup Rep RS

Clarivate Analytics

Phone: +1 800-336-4474
clarivate.com
User

I have the same problem.... It's horrible....

Library Summary

Library Name: ObsteSENTE.enl
Location: /Users/jorge/Medicina/Biblioteca/Reference Manager/EndNote/Bibliografia.enlp/ObsteSENTE.enl
Last Saved: sábado, 17 de junio de 2017, 8:30:41 (hora de verano de Europa central)
Records: 6.169
Custom Groups: 10
Reference Types Used: 9
Most Used ref. types: Journal Article, Web Page, Thesis, Book Section, Book
File Attachments: 3.044
Figures: 0
Authors Term List: 18.931
Journals Term List: 690
Keywords Term List: 5.048

Mentor

I don't have any of the terms list active except for journal.  The oly other thing seems to be the "depth" of your library in the folder structure?  This could lead to very long names for your attachments.  Also -- how many output styles do you have?  

If you haven't already, though, I would consider cleaning up your journal terms list according to the suggestions here: http://endnote.com/kb/82228 and turning off journal auto-updating.  

Library Name: Leanne-X7-2015.enl
Last Saved: Wednesday, June 28, 2017 9:38:32 AM
Records: 5654
Custom and Smart Groups: 29
Reference Types Used: 19
Most used ref. types: Journal Article, Book, Book Section, Web Page, Electronic Book
File Attachments: 1229
Figures: 0
Authors Term List: 0
Journals Term List: 17276
Keywords Term List: 1

(long time Endnote user)
User

46 Styles

I have activated by default PDF Auto renaming with the title of the paper.

Where is "journal auto-updating?

What is the objetive of term list? If I deleted all, what is the consecuence?

Mentor

Journal  tems update options in are "preferences".  (see image) If you watch that video in the KB article, the journal terms list is used to automatically ensure that the correct abbreviation or the full title is used, according to the journal publisher requirements, and they are consistent.  

When we import from various sources, the abbreviation often gets pulled into the full title and vica versa which is why I turn it off, and start with a clean version.  On occassion, if I use an unusual journal, I might have to add it to the terms manually, but having it pulled in wrong, isn't helpful either.  

I set mine as in image.  Since 99% of my entries are downloaded directly, it really isn't useful to have the author or keywords auto-updating, although it might be nice to have some terms (keywords maybe) updated but leave the journal terms alone.  The auto suggest during manual updating (which you might want to use for adding specific keywords for example and maintain consistency) might be one reason to keep the update on.  Once you have a pretty complete journal list, it should be safe from additions, except in the case of those rare or new journals.  

(long time Endnote user)