New User

Re: Endnote X8 slowness problem ("lagging")

Same issue here - I don't have any PDFs attached, because I never trusted Endnote to perform as well with attachements than without. But still it laggs horribly!

Cleaning up the Term Lists had no effect.

Additionaly, I have noticed two minor issues that may be connected to the slowness problem:

- Almost everytime I start Endnote, an error message appears, saying: "This library is currently being used by someone else.  Try opening it again later". When hitting the OK button, the application starts nevertheless.

- References marked as read appear as unread when opening Endnote an other time

Library Name: 1-Diss-Bibliographie-2018-01-06.enl
Location: /Users/Eckstein/Documents/SUGUS/Publikationen/Dissertation/1-Diss-Bibliographie-2018-01-06.enl
Last Saved: Samstag, 6. Januar 2018 um 09:52:54 Mitteleuropäische Normalzeit
Records: 1'065
Custom Groups: 25
Reference Types Used: 17
Most Used ref. types: Journal Article, Book Section, Book, Web Page, Generic
File Attachments: 0
Figures: 0
Authors Term List: 0
Journals Term List: 0
Keywords Term List: 0

Ni
New User

macOS 10.13.2. Endnote X8 latest update. Only 608 entries, no pdf etc. Permanent lagging even when only clicking on an entry.

Library Name: XX.enl
Last Saved: Montag, 16. Oktober 2017 um 09:47:20 Mitteleuropäische Sommerzeit
Records: 608
Custom Groups: 1
Reference Types Used: 6
Most Used ref. types: Journal Article, Book, Book Section, Thesis, Conference Proceedings
File Attachments: 0
Figures: 0
Authors Term List: 432
Journals Term List: 197
Keywords Term List: 131

Ni
New User

Just seen that the first post is months old and apparently there has been done nothing. Is there a way to get the money back since they sold a broken program without being able to fix it?

New User

mac os 10.10.5, Endnote X8, exactly the same problem with a new library containing just one entry. I get the spinning rainbow wheel just by clicking on the one entry I have. Are there any fixes yet for this problem?

Regular

No news... no solution...

Visitor

macOS 10.13.3, Endnote X8.2. Unusable as is. After a short amount of time ANY activity causes the spinning beachball. One CPU pegged at 100%. Looks like there is a combination of issues. Poor software architecture, an activity that should NOT block the UI, and the underlying bug that causes the issue (memory leak and something spinning on a condition?). After some time the app crashes altogether. This is seriously amateur stuff, any first year CS student can do better than this.

Highlighted
Visitor

I would only add that I just upgraded from Endnote x7 to x8 today, and suddenly I am having the same lag issues as others describe. No issues with x7, but I was forced to upgrade as the last Word upgrade is not compatible with x7 even though I just bought x7 less than 6 months ago Smiley Sad

I am now preparing to revert back to the previous version of Word so I can continue to use Endnote x7 as I see that others have this problem and no fix is in sight. 

Enthusiast

I reported this months ago directly to tech support. All they did was blame Apple. I can blame Apple for a lot of things, but it's pretty inexcusable that a pricey piece of software like EndNote X8 can't be updated to make it usable again. I'm glad I only use EndNote to search for references and occasionally drop them into a paper; if I had to deal with this nonsense every day I'd have switched to another solution by now. Clearly Thomson Reuters has a history of not dealing with necessary fixes until too long a time has passed. We saw that with the release of Office365 in terms of EndNote compatibility and now this. I woudn't mind, except I reported it, tried the suggested fixes (none of which worked) and in the end all I got was a ¯\_(ツ)_/¯