New User

Re: Endnote X7 EXTREMELY Slow on Rather Fast Hardware (OS X)

I have the same problem. It happens even when I'm only accessing Endnote and reading pdfs from my library. The more I interact with Endnote, the slower it gets. The only solution I have found is a temporary fix. Shutting down Endnote and restarting gets it back to expected speeds. 

It seems like there's some cache memory that needs to be purged and that just doesn't happen if Endnote is kept open. 

Very annoying and a waste of valuable time!

User

@ felipecarpes and TeresaLIglesias

It's and old thread – but let's start over.

Question to both of you: how many groups and group sets do you have?

I had a similar issue last year and tried all solutions discussed in this forum. None worked for me. Then I deleted ALL groups and group sets – and EN was back to normal. From their I strated to rebuild the groups and group sets and I identified that complicated smart groups substantially slow down EN - seeing all the features described before. After I deleted these complicated smart groups EN did not slow down any more

Try it - and let us know if it worked for you.

New User

gr8

robbie007
New User

I completely agree with u. it takes forever to update the citations and always hangs in the process.the worst software I have ever used.it seems that its a simple sofware and requires new programming to make it faster and solve the bugs...bad programming

Mentor

Commenting on a "solved thread" doesn't help much as I don't even read them.  

(long time Endnote user)
New User

I have had very slow performance with both X7 and X8 on a fast PC and just ran all the 4 steps in your note but it made no difference. Endnote is still impossibly slow, even without Word open at all.

If this is unresolvable I will have to switch to another citation manager.

New User

THANK YOU - deleting all the groups fixed the problem. It is still not exaclty the fastest software around but at least it is now useable and back to normal.

New User

I discovered this problem disappears when I am not connected to the internet. Does anyone else observe this? What settings in Endnote reuqire it to be connected to the internet?

Volker

New User

I discovered this problem disappears when I am not connected to the internet. Does anyone else observe this? What settings in Endnote reuqire it to be connected to the internet?

Volker

Highlighted
grn
New User

A colleague of mine deduced that back-up programs running in the background are causing the slow performances. Moving the EndNote files to a folder that is not being backed up may solve the problem.