User

Re: EndNote X8 Keeps Crashing on Mac UPDATE on CRASH TEMP SOLUTION

Sorry to hear you have had this experience with their support.   As i noted above,  this has not been my experience at all .. I can get though to them very quickly and they are very helpful 95% of the time over many years.   Not perfect, perhaps, but quite striklingly better than most,  including several contacts after the buyout you mention.

Regarding the BeachBALL  and crashing,    as of today,  9/14/2017 at 6:50 PM PST  i have been Using EN 8.01 on my mac with NO MORE BEACHBALLS.  with frequent use over the 4 days,  under the conditions noted in my previsou post.

I have not installed the latest update that just came out this week..  yet ... 

TDC

New User

Re: EndNote X8 Keeps Crashing on Mac

I am having this problem as well. I tried moving my library out of my desktop folder, as a previous user had mentioned the desktop/documents automatically synch to icloud. I moved my library into my home folder and it is still crashing constantly, sometimes everytime I try to save a paper.

Mentor

have you tried to recover damaged library?  It may have been damaged by the time you moved it from the iCloud location?  How did you move it?  

(long time Endnote user)
User

I had the same thing ...  by the way,  i repaired the database a few times to no avail.   I moved the EN databases to the HOME DIR .. as suggested by someone else.   still the beachball.

But,  when i turned off ONEDRIVE ... all the prolmes stopped .. see my previsou post last 9/14/2017.  

As of today .. 9/20/2017 ........   no crash,  no beachballs  .. smooth sailing,  including with the 8.1 upgrade on my macBook and my MacPro ...    Both machines were crashing all the the time with ONEDRIVE running ... 

Good luck

Tom

New User

Hi all,

I was experiencing significant crashing and sync issues with Endnote X8 today, and I managed to solve the crash and get back to work. 

I had noticed that my entire library had been duplicated 5 times. I have 1717 references stored, I opened EndNote to find that I had over 11,000 references today. What joy! Every time I opened the program my overall references would get shorter and shorter until the program 'quit unexpectedly'. 

What DID NOT WORK:

Reinstalling EndNote X8

Updating EndNote X8 to X8.1

Coming to the support forums

What DID work:

1. Disabled my Macbook Pro wireless internet connection, preventing EndNote from Syncing.

2. Went through ALL of my references and deleting extraneous duplicates, 5 per reference. 

3. Reenabled my wireless internet connection, allowing EndNote to sync with the online service.

4. Once syncing was complete, exiting EndNote and restarting my Mac and the program to ensure the issue had been resolved. 

I think I lost a few references, however, I'd rather lose a few references than not be able to use the program. 

Best of luck. Hope this helps!

New User

I have been having the same problem for months. I have a mac pro lap top and endnote X8.0.1. I have to force close repeatedly during the day. I love having the groups of studies but this is getting ridiculous....

New User

It gives a bit relief to find so many Endnote users having the same problem I am having for months. It constantly freezes at start and have to force quite each time (MacOS Sierra). Had tried to rebuild my library twice now but the problem comes back after a while. I have more than 2,000 references in my library. I had doubted that maybe my library is just too large, but from this thread small libraries suffer just the same. Sometimes I become so frustrated that I start to search for alternative software to replace Endnote. It is supposed to improve your productivity and now it has beome a heavy drag. I contacted Tech Support before and they acted like they never knew this is a problem. 

New User

Thanks for sharing!

New User

I am having the same problem and it is so frustrating!!! I have downloaded Zotero now after many weeks of trouble with Endnote and think there is no other solution for me than to switch to this (or another) software. I would really appreciate if Endnote could solve the problem though!  But I am starting to lose my patience. 

New User

They know about this because it reports to apple every time it crashes on my computer. I called EndNote and they told me that it is a problem with Apple handling the PDFs attached to the EndNote. Apple is to fix it but has not done so.

Go figure! acting more like Microsoft!