New User

Re: EndNote X8 Keeps Crashing on Mac

If this is any help to those of you with papers or a thesis that you need to get finished urgently, i have found a solution that might do until the problem gets sorted. I have just spent two days tearing my hair out after my thesis doc (last opened in June) suddenly started crashing whenever I tried to insert a new citation or do anything in the doc that involved communication with Endnote. I'm on a Mac using Word 2016 and Endnote x8, but it initially started happening on Word 2011 with Endnote 7.71. I copied the entire thesis (without unformatting citations) then pasted it in a fresh Word doc. Amazingly now it works, even after I have saved it and reopened the new doc. This is obviously a significant issue that Endnote needs to fix, but hope this helps someone in the meantime.

Visitor

Pitching in my frustration - upgraded to Endnote X8 last weekend. Mac OS was updated from .5 to .6 (Sierra (10.12.6) two days ago.

Now I've gone from a few crashes a day to crashes every hour. My library of data is in a non-cloud service folder (username/endnote). Interestingly I see that Spotlight sees the pdf folder, so now I've added the data folder into the privacy area to prevent spotlight from indexing the pdfs. I'll let you know how that goes, after I reboot the system completely.   

New User

Smiley Sad

New User

Same problem here. 8.0.1 on Sierra 10.12.6

Endnote is crashing all the time. Its really frustrating

New User

Hi fellow Endnote people,

I'm making no guarantees but the following seems to have worked for me:

I am using Endnote X8.01 on a MBP running Mac OSX 10.12 Sierra.

I was having the same problem with Endnote crashing instantly upon clicking the icon. It would eventually start to run if I clicked several times (basically crash/restart/crash/restart/etc) but there was no guarantee it would work on any given day.

Careful reading of the support site reveals that Endnote doesn't like Cloud-Based services like iCloud and Dropbox.  My Endnote library was stored in my Documents folder BUT with Mac OSX Sierra, this folder is automatically uploaded to iCloud.

So - instead of turning off iCloud sync (which I rather like), I moved my Endnote library to my home folder (/Users/XXXXX/EndnoteLibrary.enl) and so far - no problems.  I've tested it about half a dozen times so far and no crashes.

Anyway - fingers crossed that this fix continues to work and that it helps some of you with your oh-so-frustrating crashes.

best wishes for happy reference-managing

User

After 9 month Endnote still didn't fix the issue and the program continues crashing many times a day!

What is wrong with you guys? I feel cheated that for a lot of money I get a program that I cant use!

New User

I think I have find the root of this problem. It is all about the New API structure. Endnote X8 and X7.7.1 use the New API structure to adapt its PubMed. 

So, we just use the version under X7.7.1, then we will not meet this problem again. I am using the X7.7, and do not crash anymore.

I hope this will help.

User

Re: EndNote X8 Keeps Crashing on Mac Temp Solution Maybe

Same problem as everyone else on two mac's   Endnote 8.01  and OS 10.12.6 

Rebuild, reinstalled   no effect ..    frequent  forced quits     my DB has 21,000 refs and about 10,000 PDFs

Based on ahbell's  suggestion,  i made a new directory outside of  DOCUMENTS ..  HD/USER/TCOATES/ENDNOTE_DB

Put the database there  and things seemed to be fine ..  for a few hours ..  then, my computer asked me to update my ONEDRIVE softwre  and i did this ... and immediatley,  EN became unstable and produced the beachball.  

So,  i stopped ONEDRIVE completely...     and blocked it from loading on login.   figured i could turn it back on when i want to use or sync it.

I have been running on two different machines with no difficulty for 48 hours now .   I will post another update in a few days one way or the other.

I do not use ONEDRIVE  (prefer DROPBOX) ...  so i realize this is not a great solution.  However,  it probably localizes the problem to an interaction between ONEDRIVE and EN.     and may help get some thesis writers on track.

As an aside.  I see tremendous frustration on the posts here. I understand.  I am totally dependant on EN and have been using it for at least 10 to 15 years .. switched from refmanager in the 90's i think. (same company, switched becasue everuyone else was using EN)   I have been struck by the excellence of the support by EN.  They have helped me quickly and effectivley every time i have called them over the years.   I could not do my DB rebuild a couple of weeks ago and they offerend to do it for me , for example.  and kept following up til the rebuild problme was resolved..   I am sure they are not perfect,  butl, in my opinion, they have the best support of any software company i know.   I am guessing they are very upset and frustrated by this as well.      

Enthusiast

[ Edited ]

I am using EndNote (8.0.1) on my Macbook Pro (Sierra 10.12.6), and it crashes frequently.  I am also using OneDrive, which may be related to this issue.

New User

Company was bought 2015/2016 in a multi billion transaction and the products ,tech and customer service never worked. Got myself reimbursed apr 2017 and happy with x7. No hope. Calls get rerouted via India and places where staffers never heard of references.