New User

Re: EndNote X8 Keeps Crashing on Mac

THIS IS SO FRUSTRATING! I have the same problem, using Macbook Air with Sierra 10.12.5. EndNote crashes at least 10 times a day. Most of the time I did not even do anything except from clicking on a reference. HELP!

New User

Just another user having what appears to be the exact same problem!

This all started for me when I updgraded my Macbook Pro to the Sierra OS. Prior to this Endnote had no issues at all despite my library containing close to 2000 references, many of them quite large PDF documents. 

Some notes:

Crashes appear to occur at random. They may happen an hour into me opening Endnote, or in the first few minutes. Oftentimes, endnote will simply be open in the background and when I go to insert a reference I will find that it has hung (pinwheel of death)

The only way to get Endnote working again is to force close and reopen. 

Crashes happen for me typically anywhere between 5 and 15 times per day. This is INCREDIBLY FRUSTRATING. Seriously thinking of moving to a new referencing platform. 

Please help!!!

User

Same problem here even after X8.0.1 update!

This is ridiculous! I was already annoyed with Endnote after the iPad app kept making duplicates aof all my references. Now I have to buy X8 because I updated to macOS Sierra but all I get in return is a buggy useless program.

I dont want to change to Mendley, but if the attitude of Endnote does not change I will seriously have to consider.

New User

I am having the same problem soon after an update, my endnote now is basically useless, everytime I use it it crashes both Endnotes and Word

any suggestion?

MC2
New User

Likewise, I've been having this problem for months - multiple crashes during different actions. Running Endnote X7.7.1 on Mac Air 10.12.5. I had this problem on my previous OS also. 

Has anyone had any experience using Mendeley or other programs with Mac successfully? I like(d) Endnote but it's impossible to work with. Thanks. 

Visitor

I have the same problem with Endnote X8 on Mac during the last months and have been in contact with technical support at Clarivate Analytics since the beginning of May. We have tried a lot of different solutions but all of them end ut with Endnote chrashes now and then. The first explanation for the support was that my library is corrupt, but since I'm not alone with the problem I think that it is something else.

/Lars

User

Okay this is it! Before it only crashed once a day now it crashes almost instantly after opening!

The ignorance and neglect by Endnote regarding this major issue is just mind-boggling. Its not only a nuisance but the program become useless.

I've lost my patience and I will move to an other reference manager. I won't recommend Endnote to anyone anymore!

New User

...just deleted a post with a method I thought worked (delete local library and rebuild from endnoteweb) because I got the pinwheel again. I may have found 1 particular PDF that was causing the pinwheel. After removing it, things seem to be working again, but I don't know how anyone could replicate the dumb luck that caused me to find this PDF.

Backup plan is use the same library in Windows using Parallels. 

New User

Hi All,

Thank you for all the notes that make me feel less alone!  I am also experiencing EndNote X8 crashing several times a day, often without saving important changes I have made.  I just upgraded last week and this is really not okay!  I don't use the web features of EndNote, just my computer (so nothing on the cloud or anything).  

I have been reading that some people are considering switching programs, and though I have been using EN devotedly, I"m also considering this now, though it would really rather not!  

I'm wondering if anyone has successfully fixed this problem and/or switched successfully to another program.

Thanks and happy writing everyone Smiley Happy

Deborah

New User

Hi, also just going to leave it here that I'm experiencing the same thing, several times a day. 

In fact, I JUST force quit Endnote on my MBP, after finding this thread while Endnote froze for the nth time today... 

Will check back in to see if there are any solutions...