Administrator

Re: EndNote X8 Keeps Crashing on Mac

[ Edited ]

I recommend two things for those on this thread experiencing either a beachball, crash, etc., to:

1) Update to Mac X8.0.1, EndNote X8 menu option -> Check for Updates 

2) Contact EndNote Support, http://endnote.com/support to get an individualized diagnosis if the behavior continues

There may be different reasons that each of you is experiencing issues and the best course of action, after updating to the most recent version of EndNote X8 for Mac, would be to get an individualized diagnosis. I apologize for your troubles. 

Thanks all,

Meredith M. 

Visitor

Meredith, 

You all have to be working on a fix for this. I'm seriously contemplating leaving endnote. What are you all doing about this? What have you found???

Thank you,

K

New User

I am also desperate to see if there is any alternative. I have been long time user but cannot cope any longer with a system which doesn't work. Any alternative that works would be good at this stage.

Frequent Contributor

Although I am not on a MAC - on my PC windows 7 pro x64 with endnotex8.0.1, everytime I attempt to do a find reference updates on more than a couple of records the program crashes.  I have reported this multiple times to support.  I update approximately 1000 publications daily, so this has not been a tenable situation.

Thomas Zucker-Scharff
Systems Analyst
New User

Updating to EN version X.8.0.1 does not help. 

There are many of us experiencing what appears to be the same problem. 

Can't a patch be issued?

Highlighted
New User

So despite the X8.0.1 update the problem persists. I am in contact with the Customer Care Support for two weeks now - they instructed me to try different things like switching Cloud Off, moving my EndNote library, recovering the library, moving the pdf folder of the library.. ALL OF WHICH DID NOT WORK. So dear EndNote, are you guys working on a pug fix for this or is this going to be the status quo??

Can't afford the time and energy loss from these 3482938 crashes a day. If anyone successfully switched programmes and has some good experiences to share with another software, I would appreciate it Smiley Happy! Thanks!

New User

There are several threads on this. This problem is a complete disaster. It is been continuous for the last several months. I am in touch with tech support and despite software updates, it persists. I originally spent several hours on the phone w/ them and tried everything and was told to wait for an EndNote software update. That came and it didn't help.

I was just told the crashing happens with applications that rely on Apple's PDFkit and they are waiting for an update from Apple. Perhaps, but no other application I use has this problem. I am dumbfounded such a critical error could go on for so long. This is supposed to be a mature software package... it has been around for years. It is doing something very simple... like what iTunes did over a decade ago for music files. It has always been a little unstable - a source of frustration - however, this problem is deadly.

I have since gotten a brand new computer and intalled a fresh copy of EndNote. Same problem.

If I did not invest hundreds (thousands?) of hours building up my EndNote libraries, I would quickly switch to a different product. I held out for years putting my PDFs in EndNote b/c I have always been hesitant about trusting the clunky old-fashioned feeling application to manage all my scientific papers. Now my fears have turned into a nightmare.

New User

I would just like to add my frustration here. I am using Endnote X8 because my academic supervisor and team use it and we want to share libraries to enable academic collaboration. But I have to say that since I installed it on my Mac running OSX Sierrra, it continually freezes on me whenever I try and open a new reference. This is completely unacceptable, and I am dismayed and shocked to read such continual feedback in these forums from two years ago with seemingly no improvement in stability! Are you hearing us at all? How can the most widely used professional academic reference software, actively promoted by the university, not work on both platforms? Now I can't even access my library to transfer it!!

Can anyone else give some advice here, or let me know how to transfer my library to another more Mac-friendly service? 

Thanks! 

New User

I feel everyone's pain. I received an email from one of the techs after reaching out for support. Essentially, you can use endnote on mac ONLY as a citation manager (not a reference manager).

The entire point of spending money on this program was to be able to easily organize files and access the pdf to refresh my thoughts. I was told...

"Am afraid to inform that this issue has been identified it as a bug withing the Mac OS. However, you may consider removing PDF file attachments from the references in your library and work without any errors. You can also try removing the PDF folder from the .Data folder of your library to omit loading of PDF files and to prevent EndNote from crashing."

It was frustrating when I realized (after I purchased the product) that the endnote pdf viewer was bugged, and I would have to open each pdf in adobe. Now, if I were to follow the above instructions, I have now paid for a bulky citation machine. Regardless of who's fault this is, Clarivate or Mac, the tech's email did not give me much hope that there would be a fix anytime soon.

"I shall notify you if we have an update on this." 
New User

For the love of God can you please fix this problem, Its driving everyone mad.