Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
New User

Re: EndNote 8.1 seriously slow on MacOS 10.13

This problem is NOT solved, as the discussion suggests. EN 8.1, macOS 10.13.3, 5 to 10 minutes for *any* transaction. Please fix.

New User

Experiencing the same problem here too.

I'm running EndNote X8.2 on Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.2.

User

The problem has, of course, not been resolved. I have tried many "good" tricks with no results (removed PDF's attachments, cancelled groups and smart groups, updated MacOS to 10.13.2 and then 10.13.3 as well as EndNote to 8.2). Do I have to mention that it did not help anything? Could anyone support this or at least does anyone in Thomson care?

Contributor

I just returned here after getting a lot of spinning balls in Endnote with each operation (clicking on a reference, marking one as read, etc). Scrolling continues to be impractical, so I have to drag the scrollbar to where I want it. I've reported this numerous times, communicated with tech support, sent logs, did various possible fixes, all to no avail.

EndNote 8 is broken. It becomes unusuable slow within minutes of reasonable use. It is NOT an Apple issue, since I don't see this with anything else on my Mac. In any event, I want to know when Thomson intends to update the app for a possible fix. This is affecting many people, and EndNote has replaced MS Word as my most hated app at this point.

C'mon already-please address this issue.

Contributor

I think it might relate to background syncing with EndNote Web. I disabled Sync Automatically in the prefs, and so far that has worked, but I need to test for a longer period. Scrolling with a trackpad is still unusable, and that's a longstanding problem, but I have been able to live with that. The general slowdown, however, is excrutiating. Hoping that disabling sync fixes it; you can still sync manually.

New User

I have just paid a substantial sum of money from the update of endnote and am running the latest versions of endnote and OS 1013 4, or whatever. None of these things make any difference to how slow it is. I have turned off all of the automatic things that they have cleverly added more recently and it is still stuffed and a slow as an old cripple like me.

This simply isn't good enough, I can't see any response from either of them indicating they're making an effort to solve the problem. Having spent thousands of dollars over the last decade or two on these programs I am not a happy camper and am thinking of just saying stuff you and chucking it all in.

New User

Same here with endnote X8.2, now on OS X 10.13.4.

Unexplainably slow while half of motherboard memory is free and 90% of the CPU is idling. I have arelatively large library (3600 records) but no PDFs at all.

This really should be fixed, it's ridiculous.

Contributor

Yup. I've been bringing it to the attention of tech support for many months now (I first reported it to tech support directly in November, 2017) and they blamed it on Apple's PDFKit implementation, which doesn't seem to really be the root cause (since I created a new user library and could produce the slowdowns even in the absence of PDFs). Good luck. The lack of progress is frustrating.

New User

Endnote giving me same problem, did you find a solution?

This is the last time I am using EndNote, going to move to an open source system after finishing my current project.

Contributor

Not for me to find a definitive solution as I’m just a user like you. But when it gets unusable I just restart EndNote and it works better again for a short period. Rinse and repeat.

To EndNote tech support: it’s seems to be quiet here and no real official feedback. You might want to take control of this as to my mind, this is kinda embarrassing. And the longer this persists (like I said, it’s been an issue for a long time now), the more users will defect. I’d do it myself if it were practical. C’mon!