Highlighted
Regular
Accepted Solution

Changing default pdf folder name?

In previous versions of Endnote, pdfs would be copied into folders with the author's name and some beginning portion of the title.  Now with X6 the folders are given random strings of numbers, which makes it difficult to track down pdfs from programs outside of endnote.  I've tried to find an option or setting to tweak, but have not come up with anything yet.  Has anyone had any luck with this?

Thanks

Re: Changing default pdf folder name?

Hello,

You are correct in that the newest version of EndNote, the folder names for PDFs are now numbers. If you would like to have them to have a more descriptive name, you will have to manage the folders (and not have EndNote automatically manage them).

To do this you can create a folder and call it "My PDFs" for example. Then in that folder you will want to create folders (with the folder names you wish) and then place your PDFs inside those folders.

Next, you will want to change a setting in EndNote so that EndNote does not automatically manage your PDFs. To do that, open EndNote and go to the "Edit," then "Preferences," menu.

Next, select "URLs & Links." On the right hand side, take the check-mark off of "Copy new file attachments to the default file attachment folder and create a relative link."

Lastly, when you want to attach a PDF you will be attaching it from the folder you created with the folder name you created. This will create a link in the reference directing it to the folder and folder name that you wish.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Best regards,

Miguel Mendoza

New User

Will this change ever be reverted? This is a serious loss of functionality for me.

User

Hi MigMendoza,

Can you please explain what is the rationale for creating those sub-folders with random numbers?

When almost always there is just one PDF file attached to a record, it would be better if the EndNote saved the PDFs right within the PDF folder (without creating sub-folder) using the naming schema that was employed in EndNote X5 (Author-Year-Title-Number).

Thanks,

Farhad Fatehi

Enthusiast

And how do I go about if I want to keep the pdf folder names from Endnote X5 and not the numbered ones in Endnote X6?

Marianne

New User

Bumping this as well. Is there any resolution? 

How come EndNote 6 appears to be regressing in its features??? 

New User

This is making Endnote unworkable - I am using Scrivener and link to 'external sources' (i.e. my pdf's in Endnote)- with hundreds of entries now each in an obscure numbered folder - its hard to find what I want.  Might be switching to the competition. 

New User

I agree, we have several databases each consisting  of up to 3 thausend PDFs. Now, it is realy impossible to retrieve files from that databases. I see only the solution to downgrade to earlier versions, where this feature was not implemented and to prevent further upgrade.

Mentor

[ Edited ]

With the new facility to rename PDFs themselves in X7, I have no trouble searching for the PDFs.  The searches I use, reach down thru the folder name to the subfolders, to the PDF files themselves?  

(long time Endnote user)
New User

My problem is that I have a pdf collection>5G. I put my library on skydrive. Before, I can find my pdf file on my ipad skydrive app using the folder name. Now, ENDNOTE X7 rename the folder name to numbers. ..

Is that possible X7 can change it back? Otherwise, I have to revert to X6.