Regular

Re: Attention Mac users: X7 PDF viewer and Sierra

Thanks, @MeredithM, but I'm very disappointed that Thomson Reuters is not working on a fix to support their existing X7.7 customer base, a version that they just released on August 31. They are also not offering a deeper discount to users whose products will now be forced into obsolescence. The preorder price currently on the TR website is $99, with the academic upgrade "discount" listed at authorized retailer onthehub.com at $108!.

As others have pointed out on this thread and elsewhere, TR and other developers have had access to the beta MacOS 10.12 since June, so it is upsetting that they have not found a fix for the problems. I hope that my fellow users will express their displeasure so perhaps TR will change course.

New User

This is absurd. X7 was never actually compatible with Yosemite or El Capitan. And now it's obviously not compatible with Sierra.

And they're asking us to pay $100 for an "upgrade" when they have yet to release a stable, working version of X7?

We're all suckers.

Administrator

[ Edited ]

Hi @Abington ,

Abington wrote:

This is absurd. X7 was never actually compatible with Yosemite or El Capitan. And now it's obviously not compatible with Sierra.

And they're asking us to pay $100 for an "upgrade" when they have yet to release a stable, working version of X7?

We're all suckers.

I'm sorry if there is some confusion here. This statement is not true.

X7 is stable and working on macOS Sierra.

When Apple released Sierra, they introduced bugs to their PDFKit tool, which is what EndNote's built in PDF viewer relies on. These bugs have caused the thumbnail view to be missing and the selection and highlighting of PDF text to be misaligned (meaning the text that is highlighted is slightly removed from where your cursor is). We have reported these as bugs to Apple. There are no other issues in the X7 software on Sierra. 

Thanks,
Meredith M. 

New User

Thanks @MeredithM for respond. 

I just do not understand how you can work on a solution for X8 at TR, but all the owners and buyers of X7 have just to hope Apple might solve the problem...

Your own solution should be worth for all the versions on sierra!

Except you just want to your users to pay twice a year for the very same product!?  

NieChe

New User

I totally agree. I do not feel valued as a customer.

Highlighted
New User

I have filed a complaint with the FTC consumer protection division and encourage all others affected to do the same. A company cannot sell something and then refuse to support it.

New User

So, the problem still? I haven't upload Sierra because I NEED to use EndNote every single day!!! .... I'm seriusly thinking in change to Medelay, at least it's free! ...  

New User

I would second this. Endnote without a fully functioning pdf annotation is useless. I find it unacceptable that TR does make sure that their product supports the latest macOS. Asking people to pay for a new version of Endnote to have a core functionality that most of us payed 80£+ for only months ago is not acceptable.    

New User

Hello Meredith,

I waited a long time before upgrading to Sierra. 

Now I have no problems with Macs own pdf viewer but still problems with EndNotes built in pdf viewer.

You say X7 is stable and working. 

No it is not! It is not working because I cannot see the highlighted search results. So I have to read the hole pdf. That means there is no search possible. 

All my former highlights and comments on pdf are shifted absurdly so they are useless. 

Again: No X7 does not work. Macs pdf viewer does work. Search and highlighting is possible. Do you still do not care about your loyal customers who bought X7 in 2016 and you wanted to force them to buy a full prized product with very tiny changes in 2016 again? 

Maybe you should not close the discussion as long as there are no solutions for the complaints.

New User

Hello EndNote users,

I got a new iMac and installed everything and then upgrade to Sierra too expecting some improvement after recent comments saying that is ok since X7.7. But no, so now I have the same problem as you guys.

I read all the previous comments, and yes, even in 2017 (April), we still facing the same problem with highlights and unstable use of the tool with X7. 

I'm extremely disapointed with TR EndNote and after searching for a solution without having to expend more money that I've already have expended I decided to export my references and move to Mendeley or other tool that works. In this year I will have to write my PhD dissertation and I don't want to get stressed for something that should be fixed.

So, good luck guys.