New User

A plea from sente orphans

Hello endnote community, I have been using sente as my reference manager for some years now and have a huge library with lots of pdfs with lots of highlighting and notes. You may be aware that sente has stopped development and has been abandoned. This leaves all us sente orphans needing a new bibliographic home. I have tried to transfer references using a trial verison of endnote and looked at previous comments on this forum for advice, but had no luck. I tried all the different export and import functions in each programme with no success in transferring references consistently or any PDFs, let alone highlighting and notes.  

This comment is therefore a plea that Endnote might develop a 'transfer from sente' function which was reliable across thousands of references and can transfer pdfs, notes and highlighting. I'm sure there are lots of sente users in my position who would, like me, happily stump up the cash for endnote in a heartbeat if this option existed. Without it, we're stuck.

Endnote - please rescue us!

Mentor

Re: A plea from sente orphans

[ Edited ]

What exactly have you tried doing? If I recall correctly Sente had the capacity to export a library’s references and pdfs as an .xml file which in turn could be imported into Endnote – refer to this thread where user was migrating from Sente to Endnote. .

New User

Thank you for your reply. I have tried that option but to no avail. I'll have another go using the thread you suggested and see how I get on!

Mentor

Could you also check and confirm what file formats (e.g. XML, RIS, etc.) Sente is capable of saving/exporting the library references? Could you also attach a small sample of records in the assorted file formats to permit testing?

Mentor

I think the problem is - - wants the PDFs transferred too?  

(long time Endnote user)
User

I am in the same boat, my Sente library has c. 10,000 references, all with PDFs. So I need, and would gladly pay for, a way to import the library with the PDF attachments (annotations not critical to me). Is there a way to script that? 

Mentor

Leanne, the PDFs may be a separate issue depending upon what file formats Sente is able to save/export.

“paperback” and “sente-orphan”: can you identify what file formats Sente is able to save your library as and can you attach a small sample of 5-10 records with PDFs?

User

Thanks for writing back! Here are five recently added references, exported in all the formats my Sente supports.

"Refer" is just the reference information, with no information about the attachment, so I did not upload it.

"SenteXML" and "ENX" both have fields for the attachment location, and are OK with more than one attachment.

There are two BibTeX variants (one with Unicode) that I can't preview easily and that the forum won't let me support because it does not have the correct extension: (enz,ens,enf,xml,gif,jpg,jpeg,txt,zip), so I uploaded them both as a .zip.

Mentor

Thanks, paperback, for the info and files. Will take a look and get back.

Mentor

Here’s the overview:

1. The Sente-generated Endnote XML file (EN6) could be imported into Endnote (desktop but not online) by using the “Endnote generated XML” import filter but the imported records did not contain the corresponding PDF.
  2. The Sente-generated Sente XML file (Sente) could not be imported into Endnote (desktop or online)..
  3. Both Bibtex files could be imported into Endnote but required constructing a new import filter as the current filter does not match the corresponding data tags in the Sente-generated Bibtex files. The file attachments may have been imported as well but could you test the PDFs which are on your computer. Would like to check this out before going any further.

Could you open the attached compressed Endnote library file which contains the five imported records and a test of the file attachments. The File Attachment field is linking the PDF to the path directory of your Sente library. I’d like to know if Endnote can locate and “pull” PDFs into the Endnote record based on the path directory. If it does, and the PDF can be opened from within EndNote then it verifies funneling the Sente path-link to Endnote’s “File Attachments” field.