04-13-2017 10:00 AM
Thanks for checking it out for me!
So Endnote can open the library and identify that there should be linked PDFs, but the links are broken. They seem to be truncated, and have an extra ",Sente" after the .pdf extension (see attached screen shot).
This is true of all the attachments.
04-17-2017 05:32 PM
Thanks for checking. The text file may need some minor adjustments but n the meantime, could you test importing the EN6 XML file into Endnote? I’m unclear if you went through this procedure so could you please recheck. This is to test whether the import filter can “pull-in “the PDFs into Endnote (which reside on your computer and coded in the EN6 XML file).
Go to the Endnote toolbar and select File >Import >File. In the pop-up File Import dialog box designate the import file as the EN6 file; the import filter as “Endnote generated XML”; you can leave duplicates as the default “import all” since we’re only importing five records; and leave the text translation as “No Translation”. (Refer to attached image for the setting.)
04-18-2017 04:48 AM
Thanks for the suggestion, I hadn't gone through file->import file to open the test library but just double-clicked it.
When I import them the way you suggested, it doesn't recognize the PDFs as attached files; instead it treats the PDFs as URLs to the file system (see fig). Even though the link looks truncated, when I click on the link it opens a Finder window with the correct PDF selected. So the entire file location is in there somewhere...
04-18-2017 07:11 PM
Thanks for checking. It’s good to know importing the XML file makes the PDFs accessible via the URL links but not from Endnote’s “File Attachments” field. But from a user’s perspective it seems the best solution is to be able to access the PDFs from the “File Attachments” field.
At this point, suggest you contact tech support to explain the problem and see if they can convert your Sente library with PDFS (imported in the File Attachments field) for you. And if they are able to provide a user-based solution for converting Sente libraries to Endnote could you post it? Thanks.
For help using EndNote
Monday – Friday, 9 a.m. – 8 p.m. Eastern (GMT -5)
+1-800-336-4474, press 4
04-19-2017 04:28 AM
Thanks for helping out! At this point, I think I'll take your suggestion and see if tech support can do anything. Being able to see the PDFs through the file system is better than nothing, but it would be much easier to browse PDFs if they opened in the same window. I'm also not sure how compatible that is with sync'ing my library with my iPad...
If tech support can come up with anything, I will post it here. Thanks again!
05-08-2017 09:54 AM
Good news, tech support found a way to keep all the attached PDFs!
Pavithra from tech support came up with this workaround, and I modified it to account for multiple PDFs.
When Sente exports to the EndNote XML format, the file attachment information gets exported to a field in the XML file that imports into the URL field for EndNote. This is just how Sente exports to EndNote XML.
However I was able to come up with a workaround to convert the URL field to File attachments field in EndNote. However this workaround will apply only if you have both the programs on the same system.
To Export from Sente:
1. Open your Sente database
2. Click on the File menu and select Export
3. Pick a name and location for the export file
4. Change the Format to EndNote XML
5. Click Export
To Import to EndNote:
1. Open EndNote and create a new library (File > New) or open an existing EndNote library (File > Open Library)
2. Click on the File menu and select Import
3. Browse to the XML file you exported from Sente
4. Change the Import Option to EndNote Generated XML
5. Click Import
Once done please follow the steps below to link the PDF to the EndNote library:
1. Now you have the imported references in EndNote. Highlight all the references and go to File>Export and choose RefMan RIS import filter save the text file on desktop.
2. Now open this text file using TextEdit and click on Edit>Find> Find and Replace.
3. In the Find button enter UR -
4. In the Replace field type in L1 -
Note- please leave two spaces between UR and the dash, and between L1 and the dash.
5. Replace All and save the text file.
** If you have references with more than one link, you'll need to do this, otherwise only the first link will work:
Find "file:///" and replace with "L1 - file:///", leaving two spaces between L1 and - as above: this will add the second, third, etc. attachments but break the first ones, you will fix this in the next step. Replace All.
Find "L1 - L1 -" and replace with "L1 -", leaving two spaces between L1 and - as above: this will fix the first attachments. Replace All, and save the text file.
6. Open EndNote and create a new library. Now import the text file using the RefMan RIS filter.
7. This library will have all the references with file attachments.
8. Now you can save a copy of this library and convert the absolute links to relative links so that you can move this library across different computers.
9. To do so, highlight all the references and click on References tab and File Attachments>Convert to Relative Links. This will convert the links to relative. This step may take a while.
I used this workaround to import my 10,000 reference library, each with 1 or 2 PDFs, and only 37 links didn't work - these were mostly corrupt PDFs I hadn't noticed yet.
12-05-2017 04:35 AM
I gave up on doing this a while back but having checked the thread it looks like you've made a lot of progress. Thank you very much for sharing these instructions. I'll give it a go with my own library and report back soon.