New Titles in 2008 JCR

by on ‎07-15-2009 12:23 PM

We've posted a table of the new titles in both the Science and Social Sciences Editions of the 2008 Journal Citation Reports. Go to the web page here to view the sortable table.

Comments
by esteve
on ‎07-17-2009 09:59 AM

Useful list!

I would want to know which are the criteria to assign a journal to the JCR Science and/or Social Sciences Editions and, within each of them, to assign the journal to a specific "subject categoryt". For most journals it is evident because of the topic covered, but this is not always clear.

This is of particular interest in the journals on the subject category "Public, Environmental, and Occupational Health". This category exists in the JCR Science and Social Science Edition, but the list in each edition contains a different group of journals. For example,  the journal "Environmental Health Perspectives" is listed under the Science edition and not in the Social Science Edition. Morever, this journal is also listed within the the "Environmental Sciences" category.

A

Clarification on these topics is of interest, both for researchers and journals' editors'!! Thanks in advance!!

by
on ‎07-22-2009 03:27 PM

Thomson Reuters has a group of subject specialized editors who evaluate the coverage of a journal in the Thomson Reuters Citation databases, as well as determine the category or categories in which it will appear.  They use a variety of citation analysis techniques (consider, for example, the type of analysis presented in the "Related Journals" and "Journals related to category" feature in the JCR Web version) as well as a review of the journal's published content and how well it fits the stated category description, or "scope note."  (Category scope notes are available both within the JCR product, as well as through the Thomson Reuters website.)

If you have specific category questions, you can send a query to: 

ts.tseditorialdev-acadgovt@thomsonreuters.com

by IainC
on ‎08-10-2009 05:06 AM
It looks like this list contains journals which have changed titles, plus some titles which were listed in JCR 2007, albeit with no Impact factor at that point. Can you clarify the criteria by which you mean 'new'?

by
on ‎08-11-2009 08:24 AM

@IainC

The list contains two different types of journals:  those appearing in the JCR for the first time and those appearing with a Journal Impact Factor for the first time

Among thos appearing anew in the JCR, there are the following types:  

- Journals that were launched in 2008 and added to Web of Science coverage with their first issue (Immediacy Index only)

- Journals that were launched in 2007 and added to Web of Science in 2008 with their first issue (first IF)

- Journals that changed to a new title in 2008 (Immediacy Index only)

- Journals that were added to coverage in 2006 with any volume other than volume 1(first IF)

- Journals that had been removed from coverage in Web of Science for a period of time with coverage resumed in 2006 (first IF in at least 5 years)

- Journals previously covered in the Arts & Humanities Citation index - for which we do not produce a JCR - but added to coverage in the Social Sciences Citation Index in 2008.  (These will have a full set of data, including a populated 5 year IF grap)

Journals that were listed in 2007, but are appearing with their first IF this year would include only the following:

- Journals launched in 2007 and added in 2007 with Volume 1(1)

- Journald with a title change in 2007 - the new title will have its first IF in 2008 data

Hope this answers your question

by phelix_06
on ‎09-16-2009 01:08 PM

Hi!

Can I ask you about two journals and their JCR coverage?

The first one is my favorite, the "North-western journal of Zoology" (issn1584-9074).

I were sure that it will be added in the current JCR edition with an Immediacy index. Or will be added only in 2010 together with the first IF?

My second question is about an another one, the "Carpathian Journal of Earth and Environmental Sciences" (issn1842-4090). I had found the journal in the 2008JCR, but I'm unsure if this first IF is real and not a mistake, due to the high self-citation rate [100%].

Thank you in advance,

Felix

by
on ‎09-16-2009 04:32 PM

It is best to address your questions regarding the JCR coverage to JCR production team:  ts.tsagjcr.production@thomsonreuters.com so that detailed information about the journal data and coverage can be addressed.  

I'll address your questions here insofar as they touch on general information about JCR.  

Journals are published in the JCR when three complete years of source data are known from Thomson Reuters indexing for Web of Science.  This has a bit of subtlety to it, though, so let me use some examples:

Journal A has been covered in Web of Science for many years.  In the preparation of year 2008 JCR, we have three complete years of known source data because we have three complete years of indexed items for the journal. 

Journal B was launched in the year 2008, and was selected for indexing with Volume 1, issue 1 in 2008.  When we prepare JCR 2008 data Journal B has three years of  known (defined) source data.  Because Web of Science indexed the first ever issue, we know that the source item count in 2007 was zero, and we know that the source item count in 2006 was zero.  There were no items at all published for that title before the year 2008.  The journal would appear in the JCR, with an Immediacy Index, but without an Journal Impact Factor.  The Journal Impact Factor would be undefined (it has a denominator equal to zero). 

Journal C is the kind most people have trouble with.  Journal C has been publishing since 1991, and we added it to coverage in Web of Science in 2007.  In that case, for the preparation of year 2008 data, we would have known source data for 2008, and we would have known source data for 2007 - these are derived from our indexing.  However, the source data for 2006, that third, critical year, would be unknown.  Because the journal was publishing in that year this datum is not a known value of zero;  because we did not index the source material, we do not have a known, non-zero value.  

We began indexing North-Western Journal of Zoology for Web of Science in the year 2007, with Volume 3.  This journal will be in the 2009 JCR data.

The Carpathian Journal of Earth and Environmental Sciences had a total of 15 citations in the year 2008.  These were all from other articles in the journal, that is, journal self-citations.  The JCR data present the calculation of the Journal Impact Factor with the contribution of journal self-citations removed, so that users can consider this in addition to the value of the Journal Impact Factor itself.  The value of the Journal Impact Factor is not less real - but it must be considered in the context of the richer data presented as part of the journal record.  For example - the journal ranks 158th of 163 journals in the Environmental Sciences category.  Removing self-citations would drop this to 163 of 163 - but with our without self-citations the rank is extremely low - and is, in fact, not much altered by the self-citation.  Finally, consider that the 2008 content of the journal included 738 cited references to 556 other journals, besides itself.  (Take a look at the Citing Journal Data in the JCR - there's a wealth of fascinating information there!)  This level of journal self-citation seems not at all excessive - that it comprises the entirety of the Journal Impact Factor is only due to the lack of citation from other sources.  

by phelix_06
on ‎09-17-2009 03:02 AM
Thank you! In this case I'll consider both journals! Felix.
by Enrique
on ‎09-29-2009 10:53 AM

Hi

I wanna know when the journal "Environment, Development and Sustainability" will get its IF.

Thanks

by
on ‎09-29-2009 10:58 AM
It is best to address your questions regarding the JCR coverage to JCR production team:  ts.tsagjcr.production@thomsonreuters.com so that detailed information about the journal data and coverage can be addressed. 
by mmccallum
on ‎05-12-2010 11:33 AM

I attempted to email the above email and it bounced so I am posting my question here.  Based on your above analysis, I deduce that the journal Herpetological Conservation and Biology should appear in the 2009 JCR.  The journal was published since 2006 and you guys have already monitored the journal for several years.  I believe that 2009 would be the first year in which our journal could appear with a impact rating.  However, how does a journal end up included on its first year with an immediacy rating?  Our journal does not to my knowledge have such a rating and has been following the guidelines provided since its inception in 2006.  Please explain so that we might better follow the path to inclusion.  

by
on ‎05-12-2010 12:30 PM

@mmccallum:  I'm sorry the mail bounced, I got the fields backwards in the email address

In future, try this address:  ts.production.tsagjcr@thomsonreuters.com

But I will I'll answer this question here.  Thomson Reuters has covered the journal Herpetological Conservation and Biology as part of the unique content in the Zoological Record product.  To appear in the JCR, the journal must be covered in Science Citation Index-Expanded (SCI-E) and/or Social Science Citation Index (SSCI).    http://science.thomsonreuters.com/mjl/selection/  contains a brief description of how to initiate an evaluation of the journal for additional coverage, as well as a description of the criteria and process for selection. 

A journal will appear in JCR with an Immediacy Index only if it was indexed from its first published issue in that same year.  So, for example, a journal added to SCI-E with volume 1 issue 1, 2009 will appear in the 2009 JCR with an Immediacy index, cited and citing journal tables and half-life - but no Journal Impact Factor, or any of the 5 year metrics (5 Year Impact Factor, Eigenfactor(tm) score or Article Influence Score).  This will also work for a journal that changed title in 2009.  The new title will have a prior publication history of ZERO published items - so it behaves like a newly-launched title.

by mmccallum
on ‎05-13-2010 11:20 PM

Mmcveigh, 

Thank you for your response.  In fact, we have gone through the process including the sending of issues in to be evaluated, maintaining regularity, and frankly done exactly what has been asked of us.  However, I still do not understand how a journal can be indexed in SCI at all when there is a long list of check boxes that cannot possibly be done if you are in the first issue.  I have a ticker-tape of emails from ISI that provide contradictions and apparent inaccuracies.  I still do not understand how an article can appear in JCR other than as a cited only journal if it has not yet published an issue.  In fact, I requested that HCB be included prior to its first issue and I was specifically informed that the journal would have to go through a three year waiting process.  Then, after the first year, I was told it was a five year waiting process to establish regularity.  Please explain what I am missing, because I would certainly love to have HCB included in the index even if it only had its immediacy rating in there, which, by the way is pretty darn good!

by
on ‎05-14-2010 09:49 AM

Dr. McCallum - We've recevied your  message in the JCR mailbox and I will be following up with my colleagues in the selections team.  I'm sorry you've encountered some confusion, but I am sure we can get things cleared up. 

- M McVeigh

by mmccallum
on ‎05-14-2010 01:39 PM

Thanks, I'll wait for your response.  I sent the email to the above email as requested.  I assume that yoru response will come via that contact.  But I'll check here later if I do not hear back! Smiley Happy

by mmccallum
on ‎05-19-2010 02:08 PM

????

by
on ‎05-19-2010 02:13 PM

Dr. McCallum - I haven't forgotten - but I have in hand over 16 pages of our Editors' prior correspondence with you and the report of a phone call.  At the heart, it seems to be a misunderstanding, and I want to proceed carefully to clear it up.  I will reply to you personally, as well as posting a general explanation of journal evalution to this site to clear up any misperceptions.

- M McVeigh

by mmccallum
on ‎05-21-2010 06:57 PM

Thanks, as you can see there is quite a lot!

by mmccallum
on ‎06-11-2010 09:26 PM

??

by mmccallum
on ‎06-29-2010 12:25 AM

Still wonderin

by mmccallum
on ‎08-03-2010 03:40 PM

Have you forgotten to respond regarding this matter?  It is now August and I have yet to receive an explanation or even an email.

Announcements
Welcome to the Thomson Reuters community forums. Please refer to the usage guidelines before posting.