JCR 2011 is now available

by on ‎06-28-2012 01:00 PM

10,675 journals appear in two editions

526 journals will receive their first Journal Impact Factor in the 2011 data

see:  http://scientific.thomsonreuters.com/imgblast/JCR-newlist-2011.pdf

Access the new listings through your Web of Knowledge interface.

Comments
by kleeo1 on ‎06-28-2012 01:25 PM

good :smileyhappy:

by zhihangfeng on ‎06-28-2012 01:44 PM

Where is the journal impact factor?:smileysurprised:

by on ‎06-28-2012 02:20 PM

@zhihangfeng

Journal Impact Factors are in the JCR.  Access it through www.webofknowledge.com   under the "Additional Resources" tab.  If you have questions about a specific journal, check the Notices file first, then contact our Customer Technical Support  http://science.thomsonreuters.com/support/ for information.

by on ‎06-28-2012 05:01 PM

Having troubleClear your cache, then re-start your browser. 

The 2011 data year should then appear in the drop-down.

If you still can't access, contact Customer Technical Support  http://science.thomsonreuters.com/support/

by JudithGulpers on ‎06-29-2012 12:00 PM

Hello,

do you also have a list of journals deleted from the JCR?

Kind regards, Judith

by on ‎06-29-2012 12:24 PM

@JudithGulpers 

There is no way to prepare a list of journals deleted from JCR because, formally speaking, journals are not "deleted" from JCR.  Journals appear in the JCR when they meet the following two conditions:  1.  They were selected for coverage in Thomson Reuters Science Citation Index Expanded or Social Sciences Citation Index.  2.  Sufficient data are available in our index for the computation of an accurate Journal Impact Factor.  

A journal may be removed from coverage in SCI-E or SSCI -in which case, it would no longer meet the first condition and would not appear in JCR - but, it is not "deleted" from JCR.  Past years' data will still appear in the backfile, however, it is no longer eligible to receive a current Journal Impact Factor.

It is the second condition that is the more complicated.  There are a variety of reasons why a title that once appeared in JCR does not appear this year.  For example, if one or more issues from year 2010 were not received by Thomson Reuteres, the denominator of the Journal Impact Factor would be incomplete and the resulting calculation inaccurate.  Pending receipt of the issue, we can add the journal when data are reloaded in September.  So this journal is not "deleted;"  it will appear in the reload or in the following year. 

Alternatively, If a journal ceases publication or changes title in 2008 such that it no longer has materials available for analysis in the Journal Impact Factor, then the former title of the journal no longer appears, with the full set of metrics being prepared for the new title only.  Again, this is not deletion - it is just the absence of required data.

by JudithGulpers on ‎06-29-2012 12:49 PM

Hello,

Thanks for the explanation!

I had this question after reading this blogpost: http://scholarlykitchen.sspnet.org/2012/06/29/citation-cartel-journals-denied-2011-impact-factor/ about suspended journals (I shouldn't have used 'deleted'). Do you know if JCR keeps track of these suspended journals? To be able to track the self-citations, the journals should still be in the SCI or SSCI, I think? And it's a strong signal to the academic community, so it might be good to know which journals are suspended.

Kind regards,

Judith Gulpers

by on ‎06-29-2012 02:08 PM

@JudithGulpers: 

JCR is the place these journals are identified and suspended from!  So, yes, we certainly keep track of them!  I am writing from Thomson Reuters, by the way...

The list of journals suspended from this year's JCR is in the JCR Notices file - a link at the bottom of the JCR Web Start page.  We take this matter very seriously and have, for several years now, taken steps to identify anomalous citation behavior that results in a distortion of the Journal Impact Factor.  These journals are suspended from listing for 1 or 2 years pending the resolution of the anomaly and confirmation of that resolution in a new year of analysis. 

Because it is such a strong signal to the academic community, we take the responsiblity of transparency very seriously as well.  Every journal suspended from the 2011 JCR has the anomalous behavior fully visible in the 2010 (or 2009) JCR.  A few journals take longer to resolve...but there is always a clear pattern in the published JCR data that we can point to. 

by vinod_tu24 on ‎09-26-2012 06:43 AM

dear ,

i have published two papers in different journal can u tell me are they valid or not how i got the information about it

by on ‎09-26-2012 08:24 AM

@vinod_tu24

I am not sure what you're asking.  If you are interested in a list of journals selected for coverage by Thomson Reuters citation indexes, you can search our Master Journal list:  http://ip-science.thomsonreuters.com/mjl/

Hope that helps.

by LauraFB on ‎02-18-2013 02:53 PM

Hello!

Further above they have asked about the Journal Impact Factor. I still have the same question because I'm looking for a number next to each journal that indicates  cited articles/ nº published articles of the last years.

Thankyou,

Regards from Spain

by on ‎02-18-2013 03:04 PM

@LauraFB:  Journal Impact Factors, and associated metrics, are a part of the Journal Citation Reports™ (JCR™) a subscription product from Thomson Reuters.  Thousands of institutions and consortia world-wide purchase these data annually.  You may already have access to this information through your library’s subscription.  Please check with your university’s library for access to the JCR and if it is not available, please consider subscribing.  

More information about the JCR, including the definition of the Journal Impact Factor and discussions of its use can be found in many freely available essays online at:  http://thomsonreuters.com/products_services/science/free/essays/  (see the section on Journal Citation Reports)

Hope that helps -

- M

by LauraFB on ‎02-18-2013 07:00 PM

@mmcveigh

Thankyou for clearifying!

Announcements
Welcome to the Thomson Reuters community forums. Please refer to the usage guidelines before posting.